cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pokester
MVP

Re: 18.12.2 aka Adrenalin 2019 edition: can't decrease fan speed now

Okay so once I enabled VSR it worked. I disabled it and it stays listed as 10 bit and I confirmed it is still on. If I change it to 8 bit. I then can't change it back until I turn VSR back on. Weird.

0 Kudos
amezin
Adept I

BTW, to all Nitro+ owners here: that "default" 1200 RPM limit is configured by Sapphire, so we probably should complain to them too. On Windows you have (at least, you had until this version) a fancy GUI where you could reduce the fan speed. This is a much bigger problem on Linux (you need to either mod the powerplay table, or write a custom script to control the fan speed).

I tried to talk to their tech support a few months ago (when I bought the card), but all I got as a response was "works as designed" and "you shouldn't be able to hear the fans at that speed" (LOL). It's really disappointing: they have the best air cooler (vapor chamber), and the worst fan speed control algorithm.

0 Kudos
Szaby59
Challenger

Vega56 Pulse - have the same issue. If I change the fan curve the fan won't turn off. Zero RPM toggle does nothing.

And it looks like the P-state voltages are not applied either.

0 Kudos
carljf
Adept II

Same issue for me. Graphic card is MSI RX580 Armor 8GB. So, it's not an issue specific to Vega or Sapphire cards.

Simply toggling the fan curve to manual and back to auto will disable zero rpm fan while idling (fans are supposed to stop at temp below 55°C). I've try resetting Wattman to default settings, load a previous profile, or shutdown/restart, to no avail. It semms like once the fan control is toggle even one time from auto, there's no way to stop the fan. Now, the lowest speed the fan runs is about 1200rpm. Not that noisy but still annoying when not gaming, no need to have the fans spinning at 1200 rpm when the GPU is idling at 28°C... 

pokester
MVP

We all need to notify AMD of this issue. Be sure to file an issue report. The link is in preferences in Radon Settings or on the driver download page of their website.

colesdav
MVP

Good idea. Will do. I want the ability to control the max temp target on RX Vega 64 Liquid and other AMD GPUs I own like R9 Fury X and R9 Nano etc. - so I will file AMD Report Form and also open an email support case. Bye.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

Yup all you really can do. So many vent here, which is good so we all know of potential issues. But it isn't letting AMD know. They just aren't here listening to there users, and if they are just listening they need to chime in and let us know they hear us. That hasn't been my experience in this past year. I do thank the work of amdmatt​ who I truly believe does do his best. But he is one guy. The DRIVER DEVELOPMENT COMPLETE TEAM needs to get involved here. Listen to their customers and start fixing all problems. Then the can work on new features and slip back into obscurity unless the current type of situation arises again. IMHO AMD just keeps killing themselves. Most people don't complain, the ones that do, are doing you a favor, most users are silent, vote with their dollars, and just don't come back.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

I usually do file reports, and email cases. But to be honest I increasingly gave up in the past year and after buying the RX Vega 64 Liquid recently and saw how it performed with Adrenalin Drivers and compared it to my R9 Fury X's in DX12 MultiGPU and DX11 Crossfire I was not impressed. I bought the Nvidia RTX2080 as well. Thats 650 that could have gone to AMD instead of Nvidia and could have been a pair of RX Vega 56's instead. Anyhow time to file my reports...

0 Kudos
carljf
Adept II

I've filed a report. Still, it's kind of funny and surprising the AMD team doesn't minimally follow their own forum when they seem to follow the AMD reddit Adrenalin 2019 thread... 

colesdav
MVP

Yes agreed.

I read it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a5tv7x/adrenalin_2019/
Not exactly inspiring or useful. Not many details on what is happening or what is wrong.
Seems like many people having lots of problems with Adrenalin 2019 - even just getiing it to install properly ... like I did if using incremental install from Adrenalin 18.12.1. Somer still report issues even after running DDU.
Looks like many other people, not just me, have problems with RX Vega 64 crashing.
I think long past time AMD should encourage those people to report problems on this forum, add a proper customer reporting system so bugs via reporting form can be tracked and fixed and increase email support. I think the AMD Vanguard Program might still be running but I think that may be likely to be too much driven by AMD and not really User feedback + it needs an NDA which some may not want to sign. The User Feedback Page whish asks users what features they want to see in next version does not give enough detail or infor on what you vote for and is often out of date.