cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: 18.12.2 aka Adrenalin 2019 edition: can't decrease fan speed now

OK no problem. I think the RTX2080Ti or 'RTX Titan' are the Nvidia Flagship gaming GPU's. The cost of both the RTX2080 OC and the RX Vega 64 Liquid was enough for me... In any case I do not think there is a real 2 slot high 40mm wide RTX2080Ti. Hard to get the info on that but I think the lips on the fans of the RTX2080/Ti Reference GPU's push them over 2 slot high. Couldn't get an answer from Nvidia or anywhere.

RE: I have been seriously thinking of getting a Vega 64 as one is cheap on New Egg.

Which one? There are only 2 of the AIB GPUs I would even consider. PowerColor RX Vega 64 Red Devil or the Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+.
I would not go near the Asus Strix Vega 64 because they definitely had/have a VRM cooling problem requiring a thermal pad mod. The Gigabyte RX Vega 64 cooler is no better than reference. The power consumption on the RX Vega 64 Liquid is as high as 380 Watts - the AIB cards will be a bit lower. But if you buy one you may need a better PSU.

RE: The funny thing is I had really already decided to stay with RX 580 as you just confirmed the choppiness in BFV.

OK so I am running at 4K Ultra 120' horizontal FOV to test the GPU's. Tha's pretty stressful on the GPU's. That might be why I see some 'choppiness/stuttering' at times in BF1 and BFV.
But mostly the RTX2080 OC is great. I have not tried RTX features yet. Not had time.

RE: So it is sounding more and more that for me, best to just wait for a future card from either maker at a future date that improves performance and I can afford.

I purchased now because I do not think either manufacturer will release anything new before end 2019. The RX Vega 64 Liquid was purchased for OpenCL reasons, not gaming and it was a good luck chance find to get one new at 570. The RTX 2080 was purchased for CUDA and to look at AI and RTX. I am building a new PC likely Ryzen or Threadripper so they will go in that PC.

Bye.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

This is the card I was contemplating but don't think I am seriously contemplating and yes it would require met to spend more money on a PS. That is another reason I was already coming to the conclusion it just isn't worth it. I already figured I could just plain do better elsewhere. Then thought overall I am not really unhappy with where I am. With XMas coming I was more or less thinking of just getting myself a present. It isn't sounding like a gift that will make me happy. Off to try the new drivers now. Wish me luck!

colesdav
MVP

OK - Good luck with the driver testing ;-).

Maybe AMD will launch Navi by end 2019 and that might be worth a look but really the AMD drivers need serious work and improvement on RX Vega 64 and FuryX/Nano before I would even consider AMD GPU again after this.

I will be posting what I find with Adrenalin 2019 version 18.12.2  so you might want to take a look to see if you see similar.
If you could see if ReLive even runs properly for you that would be a start, because it isn't working for me.
I suggest you run DDU before installing.

Cheers.

pokester
MVP

Wow the new temp/fan controls suck. Wouldn't have believed they could make it worse. Great job team! You went beyond our expectations, in a bad way. I guess all these game profile changes has just completely crippled the profiles for those of us with large game libraries, it just spins and spins and spins. Have not been able to enter a single game profile yet. I have to try over and over between hangups just to get to wattman. Luckily I did finally get in and figure out fan/temp curve that works. I don't get this change from many standpoints. Not only is a real positive change, it completely negates all the help we have given showing others how to set the curves. Back to the drawing board! Great idea! At least so far in game stability and fluidity seems the same. So happy for that.

colesdav
MVP

Seriously what is the point of this?

pastedImage_0.png

pokester
MVP

Just figured out I lost my 10 bit color in this driver too... This sucks....

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Its O.K. you can turn off that 'Upgrade Adviser' marketing feature as follows:
pastedImage_0.png

pokester
MVP

also finally got into the BFV profile. Set my wattman settings there custom not the same as global. Then changed global, and the BFV doesn't honor the individual settings I set. So why is it even there?

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

ALREADY FOUND IT AND DID! Thanks for sharing it though!

pokester
MVP

Okay so figured out I now have to enable VSR then 10 bit color works. Why the heck is this tied to VSR, I don't want it enabled and it worked as it should before just fine.

0 Kudos