cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: 17.7.2 drivers, no Windows 8.1

Windows 8/8.1 has the following share as of January 2017 according Microsoft : Windows 8 slipped 0.04 percentage points to 1.62 percent, while Windows 8.1 stayed flat at 6.90 percent. Together, they owned 8.52 percent of the market at the end of January. The duo’s peak was 16.45 percent back in May 2015.

So basically, less than 9% of Windows users use Windows 8/8.1

0 Kudos
metalhead0
Adept I
Adept I

As far as I know, there aren't Windows 8.1 drivers for the RX 500 series. I have an RX 480 so the last Windows 8.1 drivers for that card was 1-2 weeks ago, they cut the support after that and never supported Windows 8.1 on RX 500.

TBH, I was a long time Windows XP, 7, and 8.1 user. Windows 10 isn't all that bad...

0 Kudos
metalhead0
Adept I
Adept I

Also, yeah I tried the drivers for 7 and 10 on 8.1. It doesn't work. The drivers for Windows 8.1 and 7 are barely compatible.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the numbers ... again though it depends who you believe.
Think about how Microsoft forced Windows 10 onto consumers laptops and PC's.
They have a vested interest in reporting migration to Windows 10.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

This Survey still gives Windows 8/8.1 just under 12% Market Share as of today.

Windows 7 loses market share in latest reports

It was bound to drop from around 15% because of forced migrations with GWX "automatic upgrade" must have caught  a number of users.

I know of many less "tech savvy" or "non technical" users who suddenly switched on their Win 8.0/8.1 or Win 7  laptops to find Windows 10 "installed".
Microsoft probably count that as someone "using" their Windows 10 OS and a gain in "Market Share".
In many cases I personally know about, laptops were rendered useless with no way to roll back / or the upgraded system simply did not work
correctly because of lack of drivers.

Many people, like me, are probably running Win7, Win 8.0/8.1 and "free" Win 10.
What percentage of each Windows OS do I actually use?
Probably 65% Windows 8.1 25% Windows 7 and 10% Windows 10 (just for running DX12 benchmarks / games).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
daggerfall
Elite
Elite

I can imagine situation when you need Windows 8.1, Windows 7 - is too old for hardware or not optimized to work with it, but windows 8.1 work flawlessly and mainboard bios optimized for that version (mostly amd mainboards, x85 chipsets and older for example). You have some specific hardware which have stable driver only for windows 8.1. Non specific hardware - sound cards for example. I have compact media PC with sound card which have bad support in win10 and my vga card not from amd because of their driver quality.

I have had enough with using Windows as my main OS after the GWX Upgrade to Windows 10 tricks, Windows 10 telemetry, CPU use.

hidden telemetry patches in Windows 7 and 8.1, and poor Quality of Windows 8.1 patches.

Consumers cannot get a telemetry free version of Windows 10 the last time I contacted Microsoft about it.

You can disable most of it, but who knows what they hidden. Use gpedit.msc, taskschd.msc /s and block ms telemetry ip's through any firewall.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the response.

I guess you agree with me that Windows 8.1 still needs to be supported in AMD GPU Drivers then?

RE Windows 10 / Windows 10 telemetry: 
You can turn off lots of the telemetry and then you may well find it is back on again after automatic updates.
I want an OS where I do not have to constantly check and switch telemetry off.
The consumer "free" version of the Windows 10 OS seems to have been built specifically to collect data about the user and scan for advertising and other information. In addition there is a lack of control w.r.t. Windows Updates compared to Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

Ubuntu Linux is currently working fine for me for most tasks including gaming, ... where the games are available on linux.
Virtual Machine on Ubuntu running Windows 10 with GPU passthrough should solve situation for non linux games.
Cheers.

vampy69
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

i found that when using windows 8.1 64bit os that it will install windows 7 64bit installer for my amd rx580 red devil 8gb vga card anyone can try and most likely it will install for you too (*v*)

0 Kudos