cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: 17.7.2 drivers, no Windows 8.1

Seems like only the VEGA & RX-500 series cards are, at the moment, the only cards not supported by Windows 8/8.1 .

Windows 8/8.1 users are very small in terms of the type of OS Windows computers use. Most of them will or have upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 7 is still the second most Windows OS being used by Windows Users on their computers.

rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

that is correct. long live win 7

0 Kudos
gregregorovich
Adept I
Adept I

I just got my 580. Could not get the display driver to install. The DISPLAY DRIVER. It installed the HDMI driver fine. Sure, that's important. Had to install 17.7.2 W7 to get a working driver install utility to detect that I had a 580 and as such install the display driver. I tried W8.1-64 versions 17.7.1 and WHQL 17.4.4. Neither detected the 580. WTF.

0 Kudos
gregregorovich
Adept I
Adept I

Update: Radeon Chill isn't an option, neither is "Global Setting". The options are just not there in WattMan. Seeing as how I only have an up to 75 Hz Freesync panel, I was hoping to use it. Huh.

[EDIT: Maybe it has something to do with having to use a W7 64 driver to get the driver install utility to actually install at least a partially capable driver.]

Screenshot 2017-07-27 15.22.43.png

0 Kudos
metalhead0
Adept I
Adept I

You'll have to revert to 7 or upgrade to 10 if you want the driver to fully support your card. W7 version on W8 is cut and doesn't have anything other than the display driver. It does work, I've tried, but it doesn't have Enhanced Sync and is missing some options, just like you're seeing.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

A 20% CPU use doing nothing is  not normal for me in Windows 8.1.

Windows 10, yes it loves to eat CPU and network resources for sure given the chance, on the same machine. Even after disabling all possible privacy settings.

For anyone running Windows 8.1 it seems Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976978) was a major cause of the high CPU use on my system.
I removed it, and just verified the CPU use is much lower for me now.

Removing it I now see 1-2% CPU use as I write this in Mozilla Firefox browser versus ~ 40% before removal if I was running the same tasks (Mozilla Firefox and Task Manager) with KB2976978 installed.

KB2976978 seemed to start lots of Windows System processes at start up which run for a long time and use lots of CPU resource and some network resource  just like my Windows 10 installation.

The description for what KB2976978 does seems pretty vague ...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2976978/compatibility-update-for-keeping-windows-up-to-date...

There is an article here --- I am not sure how accurate it is: Microsoft re-releases snooping patches KB 2952664, KB 2976978 | Computerworld

All I know is removing KB2976978 gets me to this on My Windows 8.1 machine running Firefox to type this response to you.

(My memory use is so high because I am running a RamDisk ).

pastedImage_2.png

Video Playback (1080p) running Mozilla Firefox now gives me 8% CPU Utilization rather than 99%.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

RE: Windows 8/8.1 users are very small in terms of the type of OS Windows computers use. Most of them will or have upgraded to Windows 10.

Microsoft probably count me as having "Upgraded to Windows 10".
Yes I have the OS.

No I do not normally use it and I do not want to.

Windows 10 has been forced on many people using GWX upgrade.

I have seen estimates that say Windows 8.1 use was between 10-15%.
Around 50% are still on Windows 7.
I think Windows 10 percentages are overestimated.

Windows 8.1 Product LifeCycle is here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%208.1

Windows 8.1 Extended support ends at the end of 2023.
Windows 7 Product LifeCycle sayes extended support ends at the start of 2020.

I think AMD should be providing Graphics Drivers for Windows 8.1.and Windows until the end of the lifecycle for both products.
II will not purchase a GPU that will not have proper drivers for Windows 8.1.

gregregorovich
Adept I
Adept I

Well damn. You tried 10 on W8.1? Also, what's the last one known to work with 8.1 or are there none as of yet? Have I just got to hope for 8.1 drivers? On the bright side, I've been considering switching to Linux and running Hardware Passthrough for Windows, so as I cloned my OS onto a spare laptop drive to upgrade to 10 during the free period, I guess at least I have 10 for gaming. It bumps it up on my priority list :p ... Still, this sucks.

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

If you  are considering Ryzen (or better from AMD ... )  purchase (Windows 10, no Windows 8.1 support either ... )  you might find the following video useful:
GPU Passthrough for Virtualization with Ryzen: Now Working - YouTube

Good luck with setting up GPU Passthrough.
I have been working on GPU Passthrough with Linux running Windows on Virtual Machine with Ubuntu.
I have not completed the work yet.

I have had enough with using Windows as my main OS after the GWX Upgrade to Windows 10 tricks, Windows 10 telemetry, CPU use.
hidden telemetry patches in Windows 7 and 8.1, and poor Quality of Windows 8.1 patches.
Consumers cannot get a telemetry free version of Windows 10 the last time I contacted Microsoft about it.

Unfortunately Windows 10 is still needed for Gaming and DX12.
I am not completely convinced of the value of DX12, especially if it only runs on an OS that uses lots of CPU resource in background.
Last time I looked. Windows 10 "Gaming Mode" didn't help me.

Please let everyone know if you do have sucess getting GPU Passthrough to work and what Linux OS you used.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

For those who do not know it ... Windows 10 Upgrade is still free if you use Assistive Technology - for example ... do you need to use the screen magnifier?

Details here: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

You *might* be able to clone your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installation onto another hard drive, remove your personal / sensitive data, and then upgrade your
cloned drive to Windows 10 using the above link "for free".

That way you may have the possibilily of running Windows 10 for gaming / DX12/  get AMD Driver Support for your new RX580/Vega GPU Driver... or R9 nano ...

if you normally run Windows 8.1.

If that does not work for you then the cost of a Windows 10 License and additional hard drive will have to be added to the cost of purchasing a new Radeon GPU
if you want to stay on Windows 8.1. and have proper Driver Support.

I think this situation is ridiculous.
Windows 8.1 drivers need to be supported for current and new GPU's until the product lifecycle ends.

0 Kudos