Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

machimib
Adept I

16.5.2 breaks Mantle (cache) in Battlefield 4

Jump to solution

The 16.5.2 (also 16.5.2.1) driver breaks the Mantle Render at BF4. Working fine with 16.5.1 and previous.

I got a R9 280X and use the Mantle render at Battlefield 4. Got Win10 with the latest updates.

Raptr and Plays.tv do not influence this, since it also crashes when they are uninstalled.

When I load a map, the game crashes:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: bf4.exe, Version: 1.7.2.45672, Zeitstempel: 0x5654c99c

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.10586.306, Zeitstempel: 0x571af2eb

Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374

Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000ee6fc

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x23c0

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d1b02b02f0dbe2

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\bf4.exe

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Berichtskennung: 3c6bdf31-2f29-443f-85d0-621e322ab806

Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:

Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

When I delete the mantlepipelinecache(2).db files at C:\Users\name\Documents\Battlefield 4\cache, I can play with 16.5.2. But this has be done every time I want to load a map.

So something is wrong with the Mantle cache.

Other Battlefield 4 users also got this problem:

AMD driver 16.5.2 Bf - Forums - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

"BF4 Has stopped wor - Forums - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Looking forward for a fix! Please, you promoted Mantle in BF4 so hard and it really improves the frametimes.

And since just the last driver broke it, the cause should not be hard to find.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
machimib
Adept I

Re: 16.5.2 breaks Mantle (cache) in Battlefield 4

Jump to solution

16.9.1 fixed it. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

68 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Development on Mantle from game developers and AMD has stopped. I would recommend you keep using 16.5.2 or earlier drivers.

EDIT

Please see my post below.

0 Kudos
angryposter
Adept I

Jump to solution

So after selling mantle products amd abandons the support very nice move.

hellsdelight
Adept I

Jump to solution

I got the exact same issue. Going back to an earlier driver is no option for many people that need the latest Driver for DOOM, etc.

Will this issue be ever fixed after I read this article? Mantle is a Vulkan: AMD's dead graphics API rises from the ashes in OpenGL's successor | PCWorld

0 Kudos
machimib
Adept I

Jump to solution

Found a dirty fix. You see what pathetic bs we have to do to play DOOM and BF4 with the "same" driver. I'll remember this "two year only" support for a pretty strong hyped feature when I buy me next system.

I replaced the amdmantle64.dll in windows/system32 with the one from 16.5.1 and it now works. Also works if I put the amdmantle64.dll from 16.5.1 inside my bf4 folder (Origin Games/Battlefield 4), it's called dll injection.

The first method is system wide, the second is for BF4 only. It could be that this amdmantle64.dll is used for the Vulkan API in the future, so replacing it system wide is not the best idea. So just copy on old (<16.5.2) amdmantle64.dll in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 folder and you're fine.

If you got problems with recording with plays.tv, you have to use the system wide method.

Now I hope that I won't get banned by PB for that new dll in my BF4 folder.

Here you can get more info and the mantle dll files of all recent drivers: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399547

bartozy
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Same problem here. I had to go back to older drivers...

0 Kudos
thwomp
Adept III

Jump to solution

Matt, this isn't an acceptable response. We shouldn't have to choose between performance in older games and performance in newer games. Mantle support was (and is) a highly touted perk for GCN. I know I purchased a 7970 at the tail end of 2013 when I heard about the gains it would see in BF4 with Mantle. Then I upgraded to crossfire because I know that Mantle would keep the pressure off my CPU in a mutli-gpu situation.

At a bare minimum, you guys need to at least make sure you're not breaking Mantle compatibility with GCN 1.0 to 1.2 cards as you create new drivers. Not until GCN 1.2 is in legacy status, at least.

hellsdelight
Adept I

Jump to solution

16.5.2 is BREAKING it!!!!

What kind of weird suggestion is this? Sure we just swap out the graphics driver between Games so that we only can play one Game at a time...

Now all Mantle Games just won't work in Mantle mode anymore... why the Mantle driver couldn't stay in the later driver?

0 Kudos
machimib
Adept I

Jump to solution

Still broken with 16.5.3

jrexa
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Battlefield Hardline is also broken on Mantle, with 16.5.2 and 16.5.3

And when trying to run DirectX instead, I get a timeout, connecting to the Game. (16.5.3)

Totally unacceptable

My Hardware:

HP Z400 Workstation with 12GB ECC Memory

Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates through Windows Update.

Sapphire Radeon R9-270x 4GB OC

HD: Samsung SSD 840 Pro

0 Kudos