Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: 10 days without a working driver for 5600XT

Edit:

pnputil /add-driver "<<RADEON-INF-PATH>>\<<RADEON-INF-FILE>>.inf"

Annotation 2020-04-16 202431.png

For example: With pnputil command without /install option can be used. With this example command, Radeon driver is installed on the system without starting. It can be tried, I think. The other commands have similar installing features.

Note: Command Prompt must be start as an administrator for the all commands.

0 Kudos
okano14
Adept II

thanks for the in depth intro, but i am viewing the issue in a different angle

1. if the command line installation does not work for me, i am not sure if DDU will work in this case, and i am taking the risk thatmy computer cannot start at all

2. if AMD cannot do its installer right, how good can the driver be? 

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If the driver file you downloaded has data loss, you cannot install that driver on Windows. Because Windows drivers must have unique signatures. A driver with bad data will not have a unique signature.

0 Kudos
okano14
Adept II

hi there, i have tried all 4 drivers

20.1.3, 20.2.2, 20.4.1, and the auto smart installer

all with the same symptom, i don't think i am that lucky to download all 4 files with data loss. Not mentioning that there are people who got the same issue in this forum and in reddit. 

While as all AMD drivers are compressed, if there is data loss, the check sum would not be correct and there must be error message during the extraction process. 

I have uploaded the symptom in the following link, it don't look like error due to data loss to me >_<

https://community.amd.com/message/2967617?commentID=2967617#comment-2967617 

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Your system will not work properly with 550w. It works with 650w but it may give error. It works properly with 750w. Buy a PSU with 750W with minimum Gold certification and that 12v capacity close to 750. Or you can buy a better PSU. If you read the forum pages a little, the vast majority of those who are having problems use either old or 650w variant PSU. And their systems crash. Your system will used for a long time. You put your system at risk using 550w. Weak PSUs can either damage itself or cause the system to overheat.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

A PSU calculator says that over 400 watts the system will consume power with full load.
Annotation 2020-04-22 135804.jpg
People who follow what this website writes may have problems. Because only after I bought a good PSU with a difference of 100w, I experienced how the system gets less warm and gets stable.
Annotation 2020-04-22 140420.jpg

TechPowerUp shared this information for Sapphire RX5600XT. Recommends 350w. A friend was using 150w TDP RX 480 with a 650w PSU. And when he increased the GPU power limit, the system crashed. Even 650w PSU was very limited for the 150w GPU. If you have a lot of money and love the risks, you can see if it works by trying a low capacity PSU first. But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. The vast majority of those who already share their problems either use an old PSU or use a low capacity PSU. I spent hours and money to keep the 9000 series Bulldozer and HD 7800 series GPU stable. 

0 Kudos
okano14
Adept II

Thanks for the insight, but i doubt if it is related to PSU due to the following 2 reasons

1. the black screening does not appear AFTER windows update, i was able to play games before the windows update smoothly

2. the black screening now stop me from installing the driver. PSU issues would make more sense if the black screening happens during a game

UPDATES: 20.4.2 is out now, and sadly the system go black screen again DURING driver install...arrrghhhhh

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The website shared power consumptions about R7 5700 GPUs. What is R7 5700? Is there such a GPU? I do not know this. Also, the website does not contain information about 5600 XT.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt 

Annotation 2020-04-24 181222.jpg

I have already mentioned what I think but it may be useful to look at the documents. Even if the PSU is not enough, you should be installing the driver without problems. Trying the GPU with another system will allow you to have more ideas. You have to try different things. Not with one thing, or with me or with someone else's saying. I'm done for this topic.

0 Kudos
okano14
Adept II

nonono... i am grateful to your input, but it just upsets me after failing to install the latest 20.4.2

i also wish to have extra h/w to swap and test around, but i do not have the luxury at the moment.