cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

nothappy
Journeyman III

Why buy amd?

This is my first pc build in about 20 years. Used to be a fan of amd, so I planned an amd based build. I got a ryzen 3900x, running it on an x570 motherboard, nvme m.2 ssd, 4000 mhz ram, the works. The idea was to run qhd at 120 hz. Well, built all that months ago, complete with 34 inch freesync based monitor, and the only amd graphics cards I can find are 4 gig 128 bit pieces of crap. Even third gen cards going for double msrp. Have discord and several different stock drop notification systems to let me know when cards are in stock. Then Amd.com tells me available then has "technical errors" as bots buy the last remaining stock for scalpers in fractions of a second. AMD obviously doesn't care enough to limit where they send stock or require 2 part verification for purchase. Now having stock notification systems for graphics cards I have had several opportunities to pick up a 3080,  and I find myself wishing I could un-buy all this practically worthless AMD junk. I could run this rx550 on a quadcore with a 50$ mobo and saved myself well over a grand.

Now that my pc is built my brother wants me to help him build his pc.

So my question for amd is this. How could I recommend amd knowing he won't be able to use the system for months? Can you give me any reason at all not to tell him to go pick up a nvidia graphics card and build his system from there?

0 Likes
10 Replies