cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Vega mining effciency improves ahead of gaming edition launch.

AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates | techPowerUp

Hopefully the stories of AMD delaying the launch to build up volume are true, and this will be nothing to worry about.  I'd hate to see the prices once again driven into the stratosphere.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Vega mining effciency improves ahead of gaming edition launch.

My worry indeed. Not just for myself, but for folks who have been holding off buying alternatives for ever. The last thing we need is for the big retailers to inflate pricing, again.

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

I am really interested to see what sort of improvements the driver features like the draw stream binning rasterizer bring, and willing to wait for some reviews.  However, if those features also massively improve the mining performance I'd hate to see the shelves cleared of stock when the reviews hit.

What's more, I don't have the time to sit an refresh websites on launch day to try and get stock.  I have work in the morning!

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

If Vega is fairly inefficient then it would probably be worth it for miners to continue with the RX 570 and 580 cards. Also, even though the price has rebounded somewhat, it is still far off its historical high. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

My main concern, is that IF they run significantly faster in mining as seems to be the case, they could easily be down clocked and still give better mining performance than RX 580 cards within a similar thermal envelop.  Or, if the hash rates are really in line with the rumors, Vega may give more hashes per watt of thermal energy than a RX 580 anyway.

Some sites are looking to employ a one card per customer rule to start with, and hopefully there is more than enough stock to go around.  The high TDP of these cards initially had me convinced few miners would bother, but if they mine 2X faster than an RX 580 they suddenly become compelling again.

Hopefully this launch is more like the Ryzen R7 launch, and less like the X370 motherboards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

you KNOW those mining nerds are breaking out spreadsheets to calculate hash rates, and TDP, and clock speeds, gpu cost, etc. LOLOL

0 Kudos