cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Updating my definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X/3950X and all other 3000 Series CPUs

My name in Discord is Michael Nager#2239, but if you are on the Discord Server that I linked to I should be able to find you now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Updating my definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X/3950X and all other 3000 Series CPUs

Awesome. I was able to send you friend request

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

I agree that single threaded scores are overblown.  On top of the issues you already mentioned, in gaming you tend to be GPU bound, rendering the additional performance moot.

To that end, do you actually observe a difference with the Gaming (SMT off) and multithreaded profiles in games?  I would imagine that there isn't a huge benefit in most cases.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Just a quick question.

"

a) "Coupled Mode" should be "On"

b) Set your memory clock speed (in the case of 3600 RAM it would be 1800) remember this is the data rate. Infinty Fabric runs at the data rate and RAM runs at double data rate."

Why do you set the coupled mode to on?  This keeps your infinity fabric and northbridge at parity with your DRAM up to a 3600 MHz Double Data Rate.  But in the previous section:

"a) Go to "AMD CBS"

i) Go to "XFR Enhancement"
ii) Set the FCLK Freqency to the desired value (in the case of 3600 RAM that would be 1800 MHz)
iii) Set the "UCLK DIV1 MODE" to "UCLK ==MEMCLK"

b) Go to "AMD Overclocking" under "Settings"

i) Click on "Accept"
ii) Go to "DDR and Infinity Fabric Frequency/Timings"
iii) Go to "Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers"
iv) Set "Infinity Fabric Frequency and Dividers" to the desired value (in the case of 3600 RAM that would be 1800 MHz)"

You are setting the infinity fabric "FCLK" and northbridge "UCLK" manually.  If you are setting them manually, then coupled mode does nothing.  If you are staying within 3600 MHz, then the manual settings are unnecessary.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

I have my RAM running at 1867 (3733) and when going above 1800 data rate you have to manually adjust the FCLK and I set the UCLK==MEMCLK just to make sure that all the clockspeeds are in harmony.

I should have been clearer, but I did want to include that, just in case sombody's RAM was not being properly recognised so that they would know where to go to do the adjustments.

So while you are correct, I did think it was important to include that piece of info, because you never know when it might come in handy for someone.

But you are correct that up to a data rate of 1800 MCLK, FCLK and UCLK should run at the same rate if set to auto when you set the RAM speed.

Of course the operative word as always is "should".

And Murphy's Law does state, "If something can go wrong, then it will".

By putting that info in there I can guarantee that I will never have someone not have the auto setting work.

If I had not put that in there, then Murpy's Law dictates that the person reading the guide would be guaranteed to have problems.

I have been a techie for way too long, and in the realm of computers, Murphy's Law is about the only thing you can rely on "working"

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

I was just curious.  Never hurts anything to cover all bases and set it in both places.  I am somewhat loathe to use the settings under "AMD Overclocking" if I don't need to.  Those settings don't clear if you reset the UEFI to default, and are only cleared with a CMOS reset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Hi, nec_v20‌ - I am very interested in implementing your suggested settings for my X570 MSI ACE motherboard / 3900X CPU!

I am always looking for how to get the longest lifetime from my system (my last PC was 7+ years old on a Core i7 3770, and still running fine), but also the best performance.

I currently have all the AMD overclocking / PBO stuff disabled in my BIOS due to the massive voltage and temperature swings that I was seeing while my system was idle.

Your suggested changes look exactly like what I am looking for. However, I'm not finding the same settings in my MSI BIOS. 

For example:

1. I did find the CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration Control setting, but it has Auto, Mode 1, Mode 2, ... Mode 8 for the settings. There wasn't a Turbo option. (Picture Attached)
  2. I couldn't find SOC Loadline Calibration. There was a CPU NB Loadline Calibration Control, with the same Auto and Mode 1 through Mode 8 settings. However, that doesn't sound like a SOC setting.
  3. I couldn't find a PWM Phase Control setting.

I was able to find the other settings you recommended in the MSI BIOS.

How important are the Vcore Loadline, SOC Loadline and PWM Phase Control settings? Also, should the PBO, Core Boost, and all those other BIOS settings be enabled, and they'll be overwritten through your Ryzen Master settings? 

Thanks,

AzJazz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I found this Vcore LLC test video for an MSI X470 Gaming motherboard. (I marked the video to play where he actually started his voltage testing, and skipped his long setup). He did mention that with the MSI "Auto" setting, Vcore stayed very accurate at the 1.425V BIOS setting, but Mode 3 seemed even more accurate.

So, for my CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration Control setting on my MSI X570 ACE motherboard, it looks like I should try setting the value to Mode 3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

That's my bad about the LLC settings.

Every motherboard manufacturer has their own designations for LLC levels and I was using the GigaByte LLC terminology (that's also why I stated that it should be set to the third highest setting).

Also it is a bit of a case of kissing frogs until you find your prince with regard to your own particular motherboard.

As far as I am aware, the CPU NB LoadLine Callibration Control is the SOC LLC with MSI motherboards.

1.425 Volts is way too high for a 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU to survive over time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks nec_v20!

The only other setting (or differently-named setting) I couldn't find was the PWM Phase Control. Hopefully, it isn't as important as the others. It may not be available on my MSI X570 ACE.

So, I tried all your other settings, with my CPU Vcore LLC and CPU NB LLC both set to 3. The MSI board's defaults had Core Boost and PBO set to Auto, so I kept those settings.

After making your recommended changes, I was able to set my 3900X Clock Speed to 4200, and run solidly. My CPU is cooled by a Noctua NH-D15. All the current and power monitors were nice and green in Ryzen Master.  

Setting my Clock Speed to 4250 resulted in a system reset when I started running Cinebench, so I knew that 4200 MHz is close to the limit of my system.

As a result, I backed off my 3900X Clock Speed to 4175, just to have a little extra headroom for better stability and slightly less part strain.

And ... My results look very nice!

I have attached two RM monitor snapshots:

• This one is where I ran Cinebench v20 with all your recommended settings, with the exception of the PWM Phase Control:

Cinebench_4175_Recommended_Settings.jpg

• The other is running Cinebench with my normal system configuration. My normal configuration has almost everything default in the BIOS, with the following changes:
    1. XMP is enabled
    2. PBO is disabled
    3. Core Boost is disabled
    4. The Win10 Power Profile is set to Balanced

While this configuration limits my CPU Clock Speed to 3800, I have used this configuration to get rid of the cyclic 8+ DegC temperature spikes every 10 seconds or so that I see with Win10x64 v1909 during system idle. With my normal "slightly crippled" configuration, my CPU temperature stays steady at about 34 DegC and system temperature is at 32 DegC.

Cinebench_Balanced_3800_CoreBoost_PBO_Disabled.jpg

At first, I thought that the readings on my 3800 MHz were actually higher than the 4175 MHz configuration, and then I read-read my values again, and realized that the meters were "auto-scaling", so the results weren't one-to-one comparisons. I see that my 3800 MHz measurements are all lower than the 4175 values, once the percentages were multiplied by the scale range. (My mistake!)

However, I did see that all of the readings stayed "green" with nec_v20's configuration, which is not the case with the default AMD settings.

Thank you, nec_v20‌!

AzJazz

0 Kudos