cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted

Re: Updating my definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X/3950X and all other 3000 Series CPUs

My discord is KenT#2410

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Updating my definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X/3950X and all other 3000 Series CPUs

So everything went smoothly I applied everything and I got to 4.3 on all cores fine. Thanks for this great guide, and as far as the SMT stuff im assuming that doesn't really apply cuz i dont have the 3950. I tested R20 before I made the changes and got a score of 7185 and after I got a score of 7643 so i feel like thats pretty good? Although I googled some standard results for r20 and while my multithread score was much better I only got a 497 single core score after the changes which was a bit lower then google's rating but im not that worried about it. My final question would be about loading the profile, is it still the case that I need to go in and change it every time I boot if I only have one profile that its set to?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Let me ask you a question, when do you ever only have a single threaded workload outside of a synthetic benchmark?

The answer is, NEVER!

So I will gladly take that CineBench R20 single core "hit" which is meaningless in any other context.

You will find that your temps will be lower as well as opposed to trying to overclock your CPU and getting a worse result.

With a 3900X or a 3950X running the CPU with SMT off for gaming (I run my 3950X with SMT Off most of the time) is worth it to me for the extra 100 MHz per core I can apply.

Another bonus of course is that even with the extra 100 MHz the temps are still lower than running the CPU with SMT On and playing games which cannot make use 32 Threads or even 24 Threads.

Having the two profiles set up in Ryzen Master is convenient for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi. Did you get my discord request?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Yea seams pretty reasonable. I use my rig almost half and half for gaming along with editing and some 3D work and when I do game I often have OBS streaming or recording. Do you have any knowledge as far as if having SMT off will impact something like OBS? And I’m setting up the profile 2 now but I was gonna ask I changed it up to 4350 for my cores with smt on and it said it ran the stress test fine is there a reason you stopped at 4.3 for you? Finally you said that in order to turn SMT off I gotta do it in BIOS which is fine but if I wanna switch back to have it on will I have to change it in Bios and Ryzen master every time or just in Ryzen master? Thanks again for all the help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Update: I successfully created the new SMT off profile (after realizing I made it on game mode which makes it only 6 cores for some reason) , stress tested it fine, booting fine, but when I went to start up cinebench again every time I clicked run test it would like turn off my pc. And it gets back into windows fine and everything but now idk what goin on so for now I’m sticking with SMT on 

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

If you take a look at the original article I posted, I said that on my GigaByte motherboard I had to go into the BIOS to manually turn SMT OFF. Just doing it in Ryzen Master didn't do the the job.

On my friend's ASUS motherboard, when he turn SMT OFF in Ryzen Master that gets passed on to the BIOS.

So give it another try and then go into the BIOS and turn SMT OFF manually.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Can you please contact me on discord when your available?

KenT#2410

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

I can't find you on Discord.

Here's the server where I am a mod.

Just join that, and send me a friend's request and I can get back to you.

https://discord.gg/kEtEYN 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I sent you a friend request to user Nec_V20#5753

It says pending

0 Kudos