Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

thermal paste went into the ryzen 1700 pins

My motherboard is dead so i head to remove the whole ryzen 1700 chip and the stock cooler. i accidentally touched the finger with thermal paste on the pins. i didnt know i had thermal paste on my finger. i also dont have any cleaning stuff so i left the cpu in the same packaging as it came. i have to wait 1week for the cleaning stuff to arrive. i live in uk. also i am scared but i went 1.3k on this pc, my first ryzen build and everything is bad.

the thermal paste was the stock cooler paste. i need help please. i am scared! stressed out. might pass out if i dont get this pc up running!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: thermal paste went into the ryzen 1700 pins

I did a quick search and here are couple of do's and don'ts:

DON'Ts

1. Don't soak your CPU in alcohol
  2. Be careful with whatever you decide to use not to overdo it or you may BEND and/or BREAK pins and then you are really in serious trouble.

DO (at your own risk):

1. Try to only clean the area affected, not the whole thing.
  2. Try using a toothpick (but beware of wooden pieces falling off)
  3. Try using a clean brand new toothbrush and gently brush it (you can soak the tootbrush in some alcohol)

This is what I found on a Tom's Hardware search, here's the source: Thermal Paste on CPU pins - CPUs - Tom's Hardware

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Standard isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol 90% will work to clean the thermal paste off the top of the CPU. Not sure how to get the paste off of the pins of the CPU.

With the chip in the socket of the dead Motherboard, use cotton balls or facial tissues wet with the alcohol and rub off the paste.

Alcohol will evaporate without messing up anything.

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

this is the only thing i could find and some ear cleaning cotton. is this find. check out the picture of the products!

http://imgur.com/I8BFO2l

http://imgur.com/XLAEhLV

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

First thing first, which you've learned a valuable lesson already, NEVER EVER remove the CPU from the socket without cleaning it first.  It is far too easy to end up in exactly this situation. If your are removing the cooler plan on putting fresh TIM on and clean clean clean before you remove it.  Now on to the issue at hand.

Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol.  Take your time. Go slow. Little to no pressure. If you can't get to some of the pins because the q-tip is too large then use a toothpick.  If you have access to an air compressor/canned air then use that to try to blow any dried TIM off as well as dry the pins after cleaning. Whatever you do, do not place the CPU into the socket until it's clean. It won't take much to damage the socket and prevent pins from making contact.

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

theminiondude   Regarding the liquid that you have in the pictures, absolutely NOT. That is Nail Polish remover, Not isopropyl alcohol. The nail polish remover will damage most plastics that is comes in contact with. It will also release the glue that is holding the lid of the CPU onto the chip PCB. Nail Polish remover is Acetone based and should only be used for removing nail polish.

What we are referring to is Isopropyl Alcohol, or Rubbing Alcohol. On the bottle will be written Isopropyl Alcohol usually followed by a percentage of alcohol that is in the solution, most common strengths are 50% and 91%. Your going to have better results with the higher percentage.

After some research, I have found that Isopropyl Alcohol, Isopropanol (IPA), Rubbing Alcohol, all three are the same, is not sold in the UK.

If you have already ordered the cleaning solution that you referred to in the original post wait for that to arrive.

But, as an alterative to using cleaner specifically made to clean thermal paste off the top of the CPU, you could also use Isopropyl Alcohol (US only to the best of my knowledge).

As spinalfailed​ has said, The most valuable lesson here is DO NOT remove the CPU from the socket without first cleaning the thermal paste off the top of the chip. You will also need to clean the bottom of the CPU cooler as well before reinstalling it back onto the CPU after your new motherboard arrives.

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

ty guys

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

I strongly recommend you slow down when working with your pc, or get someone with more experience to help you build & service your pc.  It's super easy to damage high dollar components that will not be covered by warranty.

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

As others have mentioned.  Isopropyl alcohol will work great for removing the paste.  To apply it use something like this:  Amazon.com : Zetek Small Head 100pcs Cleaning Swab Sponge Dust Free Disposable Round Foam Tipped Swa...

Ensure the swabs you use are foam tip.  They won't leave any lint or other debris behind in the pins.  Apply the IPA to the swab and gently remove the paste.

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

While your answer would normally apply I guess in UK they don't have access to isopropyl alcohol based on earlier replies  Weird I know!