Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Thermal Compound/Paste

What brands or styles of thermal compound do you use or prefer? What are your experiences with different manufacturers? I picked up an FX8370 this morning and I'm in need of some paste to attach the Wraith to it. I'm looking for some input from you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Re: Thermal Compound/Paste

Im a huge fan of arctic silver 5 ive noticed it drop temps down almost 3C over some of the cheaper stuff or stock paste

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

if I do purchase, its arctic silver as well... but I rarely do. I just use what was included with the cooler and have never had an issue

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

I experienced a drop of almost 13 degrees on my FX-4100 + 212 cooler, the compound is so majestic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

I would also go with Arctic Silver as stoggy28 and staticfx already said (If I had to change / remount it). Otherwise just use what's already included on the cooler itself.

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

I've always used Arctic Silver Céramique. I've found it works really well with heat pipes. Someday I might make the investment in to something a little more exotic like Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut.​ Unfortunately it's proved somewhat difficult to find here at a reasonable price.

Highlighted

Hey iamthesaga,

I prefer Gelid GC Extreme, but as jamesc359  mentioned earlier Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut is fantastic as well. They both provide amazing results in comparison to other thermal interface materials on the market at only a slightly higher cost. There's really no reason to not use one of these two, as thermal paste is such a fundamental part of the equation and directly affects the performance of a CPU or GPU when under stressful temperature conditions.

So considering you're using an FX CPU, I have to recommend one of these. Especially if you're planning to overclock, as all FX chips get quite toasty when you begin to raise voltage. Heck, even when using it at factory defaults, they're in need of high quality TIM to reduce the likelihood of thermal throttling. So if you'd like to get the most out of your new CPU purchase, spend a few extra dollars and go with an enthusiast compound. It will be worth it, trust me.

I run my FX8320 at 4.815Ghz and use a Corsair H110i AIO Liquid Cooler (240mm Rad), but without Gelid GC Extreme, there's no way I would reach such a high stable overclock, even on liquid. So, just food for thought!

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Great info from all.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

as stoggy28​ said arctic silver is best