cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

kagedgeek
Adept I

Streaming / Video encoding PC advice required!

Greetings,

I'm a Star Citizen streamer on Twitch where I currently run a Intel i5 4690k, 16gb ram & GTX960 ( Kagedgeek's Hardware and Streaming setup | [REDACTED] )

But I am looking to make the switch to a FULL AMD set-up

I have used AMD for work and low end gaming for over 22 years and currently run 30+ pc's with a mixture of A8 6600 & 7600 at work to teach children coding and encourage STEM through gaming, but have no knowledge of AMD products when it comes to high end, CPU & GPU intensive gaming and streaming

please could I have some suggestions on builds? I have a maximum budget of £1700

I'm either looking for 2 PC's 1x 'gaming' and 1x 'streaming'or 1 powerhouse to do both at once

my current specs above struggle with streaming and playing Star Citizen with it maxing CPU usage on regular basis

I'm not looking to play the game at 4k but rather run it at  60 fps and possibly at 1080 however my stream is currently downscaled to 720 to help reduce transcoding and buffering at the viewers end

for this build I already have a Cooler Master PRO 5 case and so would be looking at specification to fit in this

many thanks

Kagedgeek

10 Replies
blazek
Miniboss

Re: Streaming / Video encoding PC advice required!

for a £1700 budget you could get yourself a top tier enthusiast level AMD build,

Radeon R9 Fury X GPU

AMD FX-8350 CPU

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

16GB DDR4 RAM

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

2TB HDD

500GB SSD

Corsair AX 860 PSU

and you already have a case so you'll be saving money by not needing to buy a new one, you also said you have 16gb memory so maybe you can reuse them if they are DDR4 sticks, possibly even reusing your PSU if you'd like to save more money?

With that being said, you'll most likely have enough money in your budget left to get a second R9 Fury X card for crossfire

arcticwind
Forerunner

I am curious, what setup are you using for streaming?? (hardware and software) 

0 Likes
arcticwind
Forerunner

Doe!  Never mind I saw your link...

jamesc359
Miniboss

Rule #5 - You don't waste good.

Your computer is good. Is it the fastest and meanest machine around? No. But jumping ships isn't going to solve your issues, especially since the FX-8350 isn't significantly faster than the processor you're already using. The FX-8350 is approximately 15% faster than the 4690k at best and that in my opinion isn't enough to justify a $2,500 computer build.

With that said, I'd still look at something like an FX-8350 and any cheap video card with VCE (maybe an R7 300 series) for a streaming box. Get a small SSD and maybe a large hard drive if you want to store your streams. Then take the rest of your money and buy a nicer video card for your current machine.

jamesc359
Miniboss

DDR4 huh?

0 Likes
blazek
Miniboss

yes 16gb is useful of heavy video/image editing. it is also good to have if you run virtual machines. who are we kidding? 16gb is overkill for most people, and usually bought for bragging rights

older systems typically use ddr3 ram, while some of the latest cpus/mobos are now using ddr4 ram.

0 Likes
boingball
Adept II

I've just built my Red V's Blue Rig for £1456.00 - https://community.amd.com/message/2685170?sr=stream&ru=451251#2685170

That's my Powerhouse for Streaming / Video Editing.

That can be done cheaper if the parts are reduced - for instance changing the 6700k to the normal 6700
Using a R9 390x instead of a AMD Fury - Should get it closed to the £1000 mark instead.

More than enough for Gaming and Streaming imho.

I do own an AMD mini HTPC with AMD A8 GPU which I built for less than £400 however I don't stream from that due to the lack of VCE on chip but that can be added later by putting in a better video card than the R7 240.

Depends if you have room for the 2PC's - my HTPC sits under the TV in the living room.

I've not been in to the AMD highend CPU's since my AMD Phenom Black but that Mobo died in 2010.

Got to say however the A8 7600 is a very nice processor, seems to be on par performance as my older i7-950 with fast DDR3 installed.

kagedgeek
Adept I

great answer, but I forgot to mention the current rig I use does not belong to me it was a loan to see if the specs would manage playing and streaming for that CPU and GPU the answer is yes but with a constant 100% load on everything, I will price up your suggested fx-8350 as the stream box, thank you.

0 Likes
kagedgeek
Adept I

That is a nice setup!