cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

adr_tech
Miniboss

Ryzen 9 3900X availability and re-sale market

So I think the title explains it all. I'm looking to upgrade my PC for the first time in about 5 or 6 years. I still have the trusty old FX-8370 paired up with an RX480, and I have had this set up all the way back when I was making YouTube content and had a small sponsorship with AMD (which I am still extremely thankful for). To put this into perspective this was happening back when I was in high school and I am about to graduate with my bachelors in mathematics  

I'm looking into getting back into the YouTube scene with a full revamp of my current PC (which you can still see pics up on this forum), as well as use the upgraded computing power for my mathematics research.

BUT one issue, I cannot find an Ryzen 3900X at MSRP, they're all sold out, or about double their original market value!

My fellow Red Team members, I request help: "What Do?"

0 Likes
5 Replies
pauln
Adept II

I would go with one of the Ryzen 8 core cpu's which will be a massive upgrade over the FX CPU. W/better memory  compatibility and pcie4 storage speeds. That is what I did, or wait!

0 Likes

I want to go for that big upgrade, but that is what i was considering earlier! 

I think it will be worth it to wait, i have all notifications put on nowinstock.com !!

vladeon
Journeyman III

If you're really keen on getting the best you can, you can wait till the Ryzen 9 3950x is released. It's supposed to be released this month but if I was a betting man, I'd say it'll probably come out first week of October. But if you get it right when it comes out you should be able to get it at retail ($750) instead of 20% above like some people are trying to sell the 3900x. 

0 Likes
nemtrac
Journeyman III

Hi adr_tech,

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I have actually bought everything for my new 3900x  system but can't build it.I paid for my 3900x more than a month ago and it's still on pre-order, the shipping date keeps slipping. Now I'm wondering if it's the demand/supply thing, maybe yield issues,... on the German etailer Mind factory I see every week they sell just about 30 3900x processors. If the orders are in the thousand's of units, then I will get my CPU next year when Zen 3 lunches. 

By the way, in the meantime, the etailer happily sits on my money and I'm stuck with almost 2k € worth of components sitting on the shelf. 

I'm getting worried by the minute, now that Apple probably took up the largest chunk of TSMC's 7nm production capacity that AMD won't be able to ramp up production as needed. 

It could also be that AMD is allocating the majority of the good chiplets for Epyc as they are far more profitable for the company. It would be nice if someone of AMD could comment on the situation as I think there are a lot of people waiting for those chips and a lot of hard-earned money is in the air.

BR Tomaž

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello! 

Ryzen 9 3900X are very difficult to come by.  If you have a local shop that doesn't sell them online (like Microcenter) those are your best bet.  The stock typically hangs around for a while as customers need to physically come in to buy them.

There is a rumor that the R9 3950X will be accounced on September 30th.  That may also be an option for you depending on your budget, but it may shift the focus away from the 3900X and allow some stock to build up.

0 Likes