cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

adr_tech
Miniboss

Ryzen 3900X frequency issues!!

Hey all, this is an issue that has been happening to me on a few occasions, bur for which I have only been able to document once.

I recently built a system based around the Ryzen 9 3900X, and although I am extremely impressed with the performance, I am having some issues with CPU frequency that sometimes appear.

It is not an issue of boost frequency, as I am not worried about that (I am currently running the stock cooler, haven't found time to build the custom loop I having laying around). It has to do with physical cores locking themselves to an extremely low frequency, which visibly hinder performance. This has happened to me in the images attached, where the first two cores (0 and 1) are respectively locked in a range of 1.6ghz to 1.9ghz. The most intense this as ever happened was where 6 of 12 cpu cores were locked at 500mhz, which was terrible, but a restart fixed the issue.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNGCapture3.PNG

I do intense CPU calculations for mathematics research and I need as many cores as I can in full speed for that. So when I noticed this I was worried. Hopefully this can get resolved.

Just some notes, I am running the latest BIOS on everything. And my motherboard is the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero.  (no wifi). Here's a detailed parts list

As a note, I do have the memory overclocked, but I have it as the motherboard default set it to, with the profiles the board had. Also note: this a kit of RAM that I verified is compatible with this motherboard and ryzen.

It may be the motherboard BIOS that has issues, or even possible the chip itself is faulty, hopefully you guys can help!

Just as a note: 

Each run of my calculation starts with an initial case (0 valued) and is supposed to be the fastest running. With all cores enabled an full speed, it finishes in 10 seconds. With this slight hindrance it takes 101 seconds. And since my calculation length scales linearly you can imagine that a 10 times longer run time will be an issue if a certain calculation takes 2 hours. 

5 Replies
adr_tech
Miniboss

I am returning to this because it has happened once again, this is a different instance, same issue. Here I have a full water-cooling loop now, temps are sitting at around 70 deg C. 

AMDRyzenFrequencybug.PNG

0 Likes
cardo1969
Journeyman III

Same problem here. Sometimes windows starts with 3900x at low speed, a reboot fixes the issue. Windows, drivers and bios are updated. All the mobo settings are auto, except RAM, that runs at 3600MHZ with DOCP standard. I believe it started with latest bios (2901).

0 Likes
joffen84
Journeyman III

Did anyone figure this out?

I am having the same problem with my 3700X

My MB;  ASUS ROG STRIX X-570F only recognizes my RAM; Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz as 2666Mhz.

When its running at 2666Mhz the system is stable

But if i try to set the memory speed to 3200Mhz, either manually or by DOCP, i get the same problem that some times the CPU wil lock itself at a very low clockspeed around 500Mhz . a rebbot fixes it.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

I am experiencing this issue as well:

pastedImage_1.png

Has anyone addressed this?

0 Likes

My local retailer suspected it was because i was using 4 sticks of 8GB ram,

i have now switched too 2x16GB sticks for a few weeks and not had this

issue again.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 9:20 AM salseropilot <amd-external@jiveon.com>