cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

RX 6900XT: Memory issue with small OpenCL program for 2D-CT

Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but here it goes: For a university assignment on computer tomography, I wrote a little OpenCL program (~1000 lines total) that reads a square greyscale image, computes the radon transform, filters the radon transform and computes the corresponding back projection. 

So far I have tested said program on my 2017 12" Macbook, my Linux machine (Ubuntu 20.04, i9 9900K, 6900XT, 32GB of RAM) and on the windows machine on a friend (Windows 10, Ryzen 5 1500X, GTX 1050, 16GB of RAM), achieving mixed results. The code runs mostly fine on my Macbook and perfectly fine on my friends Nvidia GTX 1050 with current OpenCL drivers for Windows (tested with image resolutions 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and 4096x4096), which makes me quite confident in my code. However the OpenCL CPU driver of his Ryzen 5 1500X as well as the OpenCL driver for my 6900XT (from driver 21.10 on Ubuntu 21.10) refuse to execute with image sizes of 1024x1024 and above, throwing a memory related core dump error message.

I am not sure if this is a driver issue or an issue with my source code, but have limited experience with OpenCL development in general. If it is of any help, I can post further details and give you my code to test. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello 

The right place is the OpenCL forum under "Developers", here is the URL: https://community.amd.com/t5/opencl/bd-p/opencl-discussions.

To visit OpenCL simply click on the "Developers" label found in the Communities dropdown menu.

Note, DevGurus/Developers is a walled community within the larger AMD Community.  You will need to first post your questions in "Newcomers Start Here" forum which is moderated, to protect our members from spam. The moderator will read your post to make sure it is appropriate for our developers. Once he sees that you are a developer, we will add you to the whitelist you so you can post anywhere in the Developers discussions.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello 

The right place is the OpenCL forum under "Developers", here is the URL: https://community.amd.com/t5/opencl/bd-p/opencl-discussions.

To visit OpenCL simply click on the "Developers" label found in the Communities dropdown menu.

Note, DevGurus/Developers is a walled community within the larger AMD Community.  You will need to first post your questions in "Newcomers Start Here" forum which is moderated, to protect our members from spam. The moderator will read your post to make sure it is appropriate for our developers. Once he sees that you are a developer, we will add you to the whitelist you so you can post anywhere in the Developers discussions.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes