cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

NoFeier
Adept I

Rx 580 8gb black screen

So I've had this problem for about a half a year now where if I play some games and my pc will have the screens will lose all signal I am still able to hear things going on in games and talk with my friends on discord ( im able to tell them that I crashed I tested and i could keep talking for a full minute before i just shut it down) and I am always forced to shut my computer down to restart it... Adrenaline software would say wattman had reset to default when I would boot back up.  It hasn't been able to find a fix for it for a minute now and I'm starting to lose hope in team red... The performance in games are great when things don't crash... I've tried a bunch of things to find a solution (lowing gpu clocks, changing the fan curve, ddu drivers multiple times, repasted the card and reseated the card, checked all other connections, lowered ram timings) i tried running the drivers without adrenaline software and it fixed it for a week before it became a problem again. I see most crashes in Apex(120fps), Skater Xl(144fps), Black Mesa(144fps) and a couple other games but i forgot tbh.. Im pretty lost at this point if anyone has anything to throw out as a fix I would love to hear it I'm about to just stop playing these games til I can upgrade my gpu.... I have fine time with other games, was able to play CODWM(100fps) rdr2(90fps) and death stranding(60fps) and doom eternal (120fps) without any problems the card was under 100% loads during those games.. Card would stay around 70c- 77c. I do have two monitors one is 720(60hz) other is 1080(144hz) If people need me to record it I can and with my phone and post it here 

Spec: 

Mobo : Asus prime x570-p 

cpu: ryzen 7 3700x no overclock (wraith cooler)

ram: g.skill aegis (4x8gb) 3200mhz xmp enabled at 3000mhz

gpu: msi armor rx 580 oc

psu: corsair cx650m

boot: 126gb ssd

game drives 2tb ssd wd

spare storage: 3 tb seagate hdd

10 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @NoFeier 

That looks like an awesome system man, I am quite jealous.

Have you tried testing it individually on the 60Hz screen? Furthermore, have you tried using a different cable? I have had problems with one of my new long HDMI cables in the past if it is hanging to heavy on the socket.

I am assuming your 144Hz is a FreeSync monitor? I have a 75Hz monitor that supports LFC and what happens is some games would default to 50Hz for example, and the LFC algorithm or something would get confused and the screen blacks out every few seconds, I have to use 60Hz or 75Hz. So you can test if disabling FreeSync temporarily fixes it. You can also try using different ports on the graphics card itself, which I think you did since you said you tested al the connections.

In addition, FreeSync only works properly with a display port cable on my monitor, even though the driver allows FreeSync through HDMI, which would then cause the screen to blackout. You also have to make sure DP Capacity is set to 1.2 and not 1.1 on the monitors own settings. Furthermore, make sure DDC/CI is enabled on the monitor, as this allows FreeSync communication.

Those temperatures seems good for max load on the RX 580; I have a RX 480.

Edit:

Something I forgot to mention, you can also check in Windows Update on Windows 10 at the "Optional Drivers" drop-down arrow, Windows sometimes lists other drivers you can try for your monitor.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Yeah thanks for the advice, I'm gonna check and see if i can have the game crash when I'm just running off the 720p display, I just tried running only the 1080p monitor and it still crashed on the first game of apex... I never have the problem that I see where peoples screens go black for a couple seconds then goes back to normal. I honestly don't know what you mean by DDC/CI. I looked for it in my monitor settings couldnt find it. I know the monitor does support FreeSync and it is enabled.. its a Spectre 27' 144hz Monitor idk if you've ever hear of them.. I did try multiple dp ports on the card and had the same crashes. I did try running without freesync on the adrenaline software but forgot to turn it off on my monitor. idk if that could affect it to much but ill probably give it a shot again just to be sure of it...  

Edit: forgot to add with all this that when that card goes to the black screen the fans kick into 100% 

Hi @NoFeier 

Ok so now that you say the card blacks out with 100% fan-speed states that it is going into safe mode. Which means something is overheating even though it does not seem like it. Believe me I have had a few heart attacks with mine doing it as well, in my case my thermal application was not neat enough and I had to redo it perfectly.

I also need to ask you if any thermal pads might have teared off when you removed the heatsink? Since we have the same manufacturer (MSI), I believe that it should not have come of, because my MSI Gaming X has an extra bracket that holds the pads down in the mosfets and memory, etc.

I'll see if I can get photo's from my last attempt I made to perfectly apply the thermal paste, and just an extra note, the best I could find in our local shop was DeepCool Z5 and I am very happy with it at the moment. Basically, you have to make sure you cleaned the paste neatly on the heatsink and GPU chip, also try to clean some of it carefully from those transistors/blocks without ripping them off; I used medicine alcohol small pads (after first using toilet paper) since it already has isopropyl alcohol in it; then neatly use the plastic shovel to spread the new paste out over the GPU chip without having a too thick layer. Also when reattaching the heatsink, try to place it down perfectly over the holes the first time without having the heatsink slide left/right when in contact with the thermal paste, since the slide removes some of it over the contact area.

Edit:

Sorry for the blurry photo's, but you can also see I replaced the thermal pads at some point just to be safe, but in the end it came down to the thermal paste. In addition, do not run stress tests with the GPU, since they wear the thermal past, etc. out sooner. The thermal paste layer must be so thin that it just hides the silver of the chip, I would guess somewhere between 0.5mm-1.5mm.

20210515_123345_HDR.jpg20210515_124546_HDR.jpg

Kind regards

0 Likes

Yeah, I'm starting to come to the point were i got to repasting the card and seeing if that fixed it... when i did that originally it fixed it for a about a month or 2 (I think that was in April) i started having crashes again. i might try to replace the thermal pads on the card as well. I made sure to make good contact with everything and didn't screw down the cooler in a improper, made sure to have even pressure with the heatsink to the card... The last couple crashes the card (testing apex) was steady at 78c on amd adrenaline. Idk of that records the diy temps or the memory temps on the card, they might not be making good contact... I can hit those temps tho on other games for a good couple hours without a hitch happening so it just makes me confused about what could be the cause.. If im able to play games like chivalry 2 and CODWM without a crash. those games are supposed to be more demanding of software... I do have a old rx550 that i might put into the system to see if it crashes on that card also, that card barely does 720p, Ill try to get it done in the next couple days hopefully

Hi @NoFeier 

I understand and I am not saying you did not do it properly, I had a similar experience and can say this is about the 3rd time I had to replace my thermal paste in a short duration, and every little detail makes a difference.

My card does thermal throttle earlier than it used to (it now throttles at 84C/85C with power_usage > 110W and FANS > 80% speed, where 90C used to be the threshold), but after the last time using DeepCool Z5 has helped me a lot in keeping it under 80C with high power usage & load.

Just take note of where the thermal pads used to be if you decide to replace them.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Yeah I might just have to go in and replace the thermal pad and the paste again just because I don't really got much to lose out of this point... Hopefully in the next couple days I can replace everything when i get some pads in. I'm sorry it took this long to record a video of the pc crashing I just try to avoid it at this point but here is it crashing in action and the other photo is what pops up after i restart the computer... 

(note that i say that the computer doesn't post in the video, I meant to say it doesn't restart on its own or anything it stays in that black screen and 100% fans until i manually power it down) the last couple crashes haven't stated anything was reset in wattman on adrenaline. which is weird because that would always say that after a crash but it hasn't popped up...PXL_20210716_140746667.MP (3).jpg

I cant seem to get the video to post so imma leave this google photo link that has the video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JR8KNt5FZn1U3j8t8

0 Likes

Hi @NoFeier 

I cannot recall getting the C++ runtime error, but I usually did get the Whatmann notification and also had to hard-reset my computer at those points. But, it certainly means it is going into safe mode, basically disconnecting itself from the computer and spinning fans full-speed in-case it might be overheating.

Is it possible for you to test your RX 580 in another computer? Maybe the C++ redistributable(s) on your Windows has become corrupt, because it is one of the only reasons I can think of that message displaying or if something on the GPU is actually faulty and cannot communicate with the libraries.

Sorry I did not open the second link, but I am also having trouble with posting videos these days on AMD forums, they simply never work anymore.

Kind regards

0 Likes

UPDATE: I was able to get a 3070ti today from best buy idk if we gonna figure out what happened to the card imma just chop it up to msi and bad qc... Heres a pic of the new buildPXL_20210720_211404282.jpgPXL_20210720_211409705.jpg

Hi @NoFeier 

That looks awesome man, we seem to have the exact same Corsair case, I think it is a T200?

Hope everything works well now, were you able to RMA or sell the RX 580? Sorry that we could not come to a resolution.

Kind regards

0 Likes