cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

nec_v20
Challenger

Navi Pricing

I am getting a very sinking feeling about the upcoming Navi and what it bodes for AMD and the Radeon Group in particular.

There are perhaps a handful of games that the Vega VII can beat an Nvidia 1080 Ti in; however the Vega VII is selling for between £650-£700 whereas you can get a used 1080 Ti (with a far superior cooler such as the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2) for around £480.

Back when the original Vega was about to be launched I was in the market for a higher end graphics card.

Until that point I had bought cards from Matrox, ATI and then AMD. The reason why I wanted a higher end graphics card than the RX 480 (GigaByte Gaming G1 RX 480 8GB) was because I wanted to play Fallout 4 at 2160p with everything at the highest settings at 60 FPS.

So I patiently waited to see what AMD would be bringing out with their much hyped Vega 64 and, when it did come out as the Vega FE (which when it launched I dubbed the "Eff-You"), I turned around and bought a new EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 for £670 - because of the mining craze I managed to sell my RX480 (after EBAY got their cut and shipping) for £90 more than I originally paid for it.

Now, with Navi I am getting the feeling of Déjà Moo (When you know you have experienced this BS before) where AMD will be trying to sell a card which is mid-tier (at its best it will be kicking around the 2070 level) for a price which will make people say, "HELL NO!" once again.

To this day whenever I see the term "Vega 64" it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

You only get one chance to make a first impression and AMD blew it with Vega, I really hope that the reports of the price that the new Navi cards are supposed to come at are false, otherwise AMD will be sitting on a whole bunch of GPUs nobody wants to buy; only this time there won't be a mining craze to fudge the numbers.

28 Replies