cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted

is there an equivilant amd processor that is better or the same performance quality as the intel i5 4460?

was looking at if I can get it again though, the 4460 i5 or (4690k @214.00) cad I need to know if amd has an equal proc or not? to run at 4k?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Re: is there an equivilant amd processor that is better or the same performance quality as the intel i5 4460?

There is a site called cpuboss.com , the FX-8350 would equal the 4460 however with the 4690k being unlock it would be a little better. However it depends on what you are trying to do, for gaming all would be about the same. Also this site is auto replying anytime someone replies to a post of mine so I apologize and will try to keep them deleted.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: is there an equivilant amd processor that is better or the same performance quality as the intel i5 4460?

Depends on what you're looking for honestly.  For single-threaded performance, no AMD processor can match good i5 processors (especially the 4690k), but for multi-threaded computing the 8-cores will be better.  The 8000 series stuff, basically.  Depending on your requirements and how much heat/power/noise you want, you can get the 95w stuff or the 125w stuff.  I recommend the 95w 8-cores myself, like the 8320E and 8370E.

For 4k movies and gaming, that really is handled more by your GPU than your CPU.   Real 4k gaming isn't even possible with 1 card at the moment (not even the Titan X can realistically handle it), but the R9 295x2 at $600 (which is a crossfire solution) probably can, albeit not at max settings.

It takes like 3 290's or 980's to do real 4k gaming honestly.  As for movie playback at 4k, any R9 and up will probably be able to handle that, maybe even the R7 260x and 265.  Not really sure though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Since it has integrated graphics I'd look at the A10-7870K (FM2+) that just launched as it is aimed at the i5 series but has better graphics. If you run a discrete GPU I'd say around a FX 8320 (AM3+) or higher will serve you well

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

This is easy.

For gaming at 4k go for an FX-8xxx series CPU, they work better at 4k than even some of the Hexacore i7's (hard to believe but it's been proven)

For 1440p most CPU's perform the same unless you are going with 3 or 4 GPU's

But overall just about every FX-8xxx CPU is better overall than an i5 for the vast majority of applications, they aren't as quick when it comes to Single threaded apps but in Multi-threaded ones they perform exceptionally well.

Here is a very general CPU performance flow for gaming: i7 > FX-8xxx > i5 > FX-6xxx > i3 > FX-4xxx

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Honestly CPUBOSS and GPUBOSS are some of the worst websites ever to do a comparison of anything.

they give points out based on clock speeds for crying out loud, that is one of the stupidest arguments i've ever seen......an FX-8350 is clocked at 4.0Ghz base......a 4770k is clocked at 3.5Ghz base and they award to FX a better score in that regard.

Same goes for the GTX 780 vs R9 290 in terms of clock speeds, they are different architectures.....the speed translates differently to performance.

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Yeah,  I used to use both sites as a comparison until I really dug in and noticed some real inconsistencies.  Here's a recent example;

With upcoming new memory technologies I wanted to compare similar gpu's but one with DDR3 and one with GDDR5 and according to gpu boss they're practically identical  Radeon R7 250 vs Club 3D Radeon HD 7750 except showing the 7750 as the clear winner.......BUT, I tested the same gpu's the hd 7750 paired with a 4.8ghz FX 8350 and a R7 250 with a stock Athlon x4 860k and the R7 DESTROYS the 7750 Result .

Basically, These sites aren't doing actual testing, they're just crunching basic numbers and giving an arbitrary score that doesn't reflect real work results.

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

It does depend on what you are playing, most games are heavy in GPU so that is the part that matters. As for any game that relies on CPU power games use at most 4 cores so I feel the 4 Intel cores are stronger. However will you see a difference in play going to an AMD FX 8-core, probably not. If you like to have other things going while playing , that is where the real difference is made as you have the extra cores.  Basically both have pros and cons and it depends on how you plan to use them.