Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Is my GPU displaying her final wishes ?

After a long period of time my beloved GPU (MSI 270x) is giving me signs of being in its last days, this weird artifacts have been happening since wednesday, I'm almost certain she's dying but I need confirmation based on what you can see and your experiences guys.

Here is a video proof of what happens when I play (I know it is a stress test but it happens every time I play):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vce7c

And here is a print screen of the weird artifacts:

weird.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: Is my GPU displaying her final wishes ?

Only because I like to cover any possible solution, have you tried different cables/outputs with the card?

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Don't give up on it. That card isn't even that old. Have you tried various different drivers, both old and new? Can you see what temps it is running at?  I'd go so far as to remove the heatsink and check the condition of the thermal paste (as long as you have some fresh thermal paste to replace it with).  When you remove it I would also carefully blow out the PCI express slot with canned air if you have any.  Also, check your system memory. Believe it or not, bad system memory can cause in-game artifacting - been there done that recently with some Corsair Vengeance memory where 1 of 2 sticks was bad. (Corsair replaced with a brand new retail-boxed set!!!)

So I would try removing all but 1 stick of memory, and testing them one at a time if possible.

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

iamthesaga I did tried with different DVI cables/outputs, I even tried with a HDMI with an adapter to DVI and still same results. And berserkre​ I tested with the 16.7.3/16.9.1/16.9.2 and still no luck, I haven't tried with renewing the thermal compound and will test the memory.

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Good suggestions there. Definitely remove the GPU and blow-out the PC thoroughly. Reset all OC settings to defaults, even if you haven't OC'd. Make certain mobo BIOS is current. Try the card in a different PC if possible and see if you can replicate the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Before I forget, you made sure your fans are spinning right?

One sure way to see if it is heat is to shut your PC down for about 30 minutes. Start it up and get into a game right away and see how long you can play before seeing artifacts.

If it takes a little while I would suspect heat. If it happens right away I'd suspect bad system memory, power issue, or bad card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

They are spinning and temps where on 45-50 Celsius (IDLE) and before crashing the system it went up to 65 Celsius (and thats normal with this card in my experience). I will perform more test probably tomorrow, gotta go to college now, I will update any info or results I get. And related to the artifacts they appear as soon as they system boots, even from the BIOS (some times).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I'd check system memory then amd power. Worth a shot

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Well guys after doing some testing about you said I should check, the results where the same (Tested RAM/Thermal Paste/Drivers/Cables/OC/Clear CMOS - I even updated my Board BIOS as a final move), my final test will be about testing the GPU on a friend's PC and verify if it works (And at the same time see is my PSU is working properly - which from my tests I can say its working as expected; or even if it is my PCIe).

Quick update: Tested with another PSU still the same issue, tomorrow my friend will test it on his PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

also, test on a different monitor if possible