cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

steelbizkit
Adept I

Re: If You Are Interested in Zen Did You Know It Will Not Run On Anything Other Than Windows 10?

If Windows 10 wasn't so clunky to use without touch, or so demanding with Cortana. Along with a few other personal dislikes I might have left win7 for it. 8.0 and 8.1 was complete fail except for mobile devices which is why win9 was scrapped. But 10 is to much like it for my personal taste and I feel like its the same with other "legacy" users.

For that matter my work computers still run winXP.  Not by my choice though.

nec_v20
Challenger

Re: If You Are Interested in Zen Did You Know It Will Not Run On Anything Other Than Windows 10?

The thing is that even after one and a half years of Win10 only one third of Windows users have it installed.

With Win 7 the overwhelming number of Windows users moved to the platform almost immediately - and had to pay for the privilege.

So the market has effectively spoken with regard to Win 10, and they have done so with a one finger salute.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

I know it is popular these days to just say things without supporting them in anyway, but I will refrain from giving in to popular trends.

"With Win 7 the overwhelming number of Windows users moved to the platform almost immediately".  Actually, that isn't true.  Windows 7 became these most installed Windows operating system according to Net Applications in August of 2012.  Windows 7 overtakes XP as Mac OS X passes Vista - CNET

That was the first time Windows 7 eclipsed Windows XP according to Net Applications metrics.  So it took almost three years after the retail release for Windows 7 to eclipse XP.  Interestingly, Windows 7 passed the 25% mark in April of 2011, approximately 18 months after retail  launch.

So here we are, 18 months after the launch of Windows 10, and according to Net Applications Windows 10 is at 24.36% as of December 2016  Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare .  That is almost identical to the rate at which Windows 7 gained market share.  If the trend holds Windows 10 will pass Windows 7 in May of 2018.

"So the market has effectively spoken with regard to Win 10, and they have done so with a one finger salute.".  Not really true.  Windows 10 seems to be getting picked up just as fast as Windows 7.  You could argue that in spite of the free upgrade and marketing, Windows 10 is only doing as well as Windows 7, not better.  Hence the Kaby Lake and Ryzen support.  Microsoft is definately trying to speed things up.

red5
Challenger

I hope you all realize that this cripples AMD's ability to make a splash in enterprise IT where the real money is.  Corporations take years to certify all their apps on a new operating system. There are still tons of companies out there paying Microsoft to support Windows XP. So most companies will continue to buy Intel-based workstations that will be compatible with Win7 and Win8.1 North American businesses reluctant to adopt Windows 10

Sad, but true nonetheless. They'll have better luck in the datacenter space I think.

For us enthusiasts it may just be an inconvenience of having to swallow the bitter pill that is Windows 10.

iamthesaga
Miniboss

I'm pretty sure that Kaby Lake is also Windows 10 only.

red5
Challenger

yeah, but it's just that previous gen Intel processors are more desirable than previous generation AMD, so it kind of leaves them in a pickle. The good thing is that consumer demand will help lift profits until corporations are adopting Win10 on a grander scale. With so little of the market, AMD should be able to have a fairly nice growth curve as other markets come online. 

I'm really excited to see what they come up with for servers. We'll be in the market for new gear before too long.

0 Likes
steelbizkit
Adept I

https://youtu.be/DDR5qiwDrV0

So kaby lake does work on win7...

Sent from my ASUS Zenfone2

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I think we have to remember that there is a difference between "working" and officially supported.  There are a lot of new features on both Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors that Microsoft supports in Windows 10 only.  Similar to Microsoft's Windows 7 update to appropriately used the modules in Bulldozer based processors.  That code update wasn't pushed to XP, but the processors would still boot up if you installed XP.  You can likely run Ryzen and Kaby Lake on Windows 7/8/8.1, but any glitches you run into will not have solutions forthcoming, and certain hardware features will not be available to the OS.

To red5's point, it will be interesting to see what happens at my company as well.  Larger firms tend to shy away from purchasing hardware without official support.  I don't know if that necessarily hurts AMD however, as Intel tends to rapidly phase out it's older processor models with the major OEMs.  We are still on Windows 7 here, and as we buy new client PCs we probably won't want to get Ryzen based PCs if they don't officially support Windows 7.  However, I imagine client PCs from Dell/HP etc. with Intel processors will all be 7th generation in short order.  Thus those client PCs won't be any more supported than the Ryzen PCs are.

The company may decide a shift to Windows 10 is in order, as Windows 10 supports the old and new hardware.  But nothing ever moves that quickly.

steelbizkit
Adept I

there is a difference between "working" and officially supported.  There are a lot of new features on both Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors that Microsoft supports in Windows 10 only.  Similar to Microsoft's Windows 7 update to appropriately used the modules in Bulldozer based processors.  That code update wasn't pushed to XP, but the processors would still boot up if you installed XP.  You can likely run Ryzen and Kaby Lake on Windows 7/8/8.1, but any glitches you run into will not have solutions forthcoming, and certain hardware features will not be available to the OS

but lets look at title of topic. It says "RUN" not officially support.

Sent from my ASUS Zenfone2

0 Likes
red5
Challenger

Interesting video. I guess we just have to wait and see.  It will probably be hard to obtain any Ryzen cpus at launch, so I'm sure other users will let us know any problems on both OS's.

0 Likes