cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

backkk
Adept I

Gigabyte R9 270X OC all fans not working but GPU giving perfect display

hey guyz .need your expertise in my probelm.

I have Gigabyte R9 270x OC edition.1 month ago one of its three fans stop working.which is a common issue when i searched across web.i ordered the same fan from ali expreess and then installed it perfectly.

tomorrow i checked on MSI afterburner that my GPU temp is 60C.i increased my fan rotation from software to 60%.after 5 min i opened my pc and to thermal paste my CPU.ans i see a strange thing.all fans of my GPU are not spinning.

I removed my GPU and checked my fans connectors but all tight.i insert my GPU to another system and same.GPU giving dispaly perfectly and pc is working without hassle or crash but all three fans are not working.

i installed GPU in my system and same.giving display and all things working and MSI afterburner shows GPU temp between 30 to 35C..

Im out of options so need help.

0 Likes
21 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
1/Did the 2 other fan were working when the broken one stopped?

2/Are you sure you connected the new fan wire correctly to the splitter, respecting the wires and header sense?

2'/Are you sure you connected the main wire fan connector respecting the fan header sense?

3/Are you sure your card have not the "stop fan" feature enabled somewhere, where the fan spin only after going above a preset T°?

4/Have you cleaned the drivers with DDU in safe mode and then reinstalled fresh updated ones?

5/Did you tried with multiples instances of drivers, beginning from the latest, then coming down one month at the time?

6/Have you tried to uninstall any 3rd party software that could interfere with the driver, like MSI Afterburner?

7/Have you tested the fan assembly, the black wire is the negative and the red wire is the positive, with a 9v battery just to check if they spin?

0 Likes

thnx for reply buddy

1/yes other fans was working absolutely fine.the faulty fan was giving the sound of faulty bearing so i changed that.

2/yes absolutely.i checked all three fans..last week i installed the third fan and all fans was working absolutely fine.

3/yes i checked that too

4/fans always starts from the turning on of pc .

5/no i didnt tried driver.do i have too??because i was thinking that if driver is cultprit then why fans is not working at bios mode when there is no driver ..

6/i will try now to uninstall msi afterburner and will give you report.

7/can i check that?coz connectors are installed ..do i have to cut wire to test with battery coz at the end of wire connector is present.

last thing i installed this GPU on brother PC and same scenario .ok display but no fans working

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Really intriguing, the issue appear even if you change the rig.

I suppose that before the gpu fan were always spinning at the boot when showing the bios?

Well the only thing you touched are the fan, so the most plausible cause would come from when you replaced the broken fan.

Then maybe you damaged something while plugging back the card into the rig, maybe the connector is loose?

Or maybe inadvertently switched the dual bios switch to another position, if the card have a dual bios.

To test the fan you don't need to cut any wire just plug out the fan header.
Stick 2 metal clip into the connector hole for the red positive and black negative.

Take care these 2 metal clip do not touch, otherwise it will short the connections.

Get a 9v battery and power the red wire clip with the positive pole and the black wire clip with the negative pole.

Check if the fan even barely spin or moves, if yes it mean there is something wrong on the gpu pcb.

Beware to not short the black and red wire, it can damage the fan.

1.jpg

IC ON PCB REGULATOR FOR FANS IS PROBLEM OR SAME FANS BREAK!

TRZ FIRST IC!

GOOD LUCK!

pon, 26. stu 2018. u 17:26 wimpzilla <amd-external@jiveon.com> napisao je:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Gigabyte R9 270X OC all fans not working but GPU giving perfect

display in Red Team

0 Likes

yes you are absolutely correct. gpu fans always spin at bios in boot in my case.

i will check the wire method too .and will give you feedback

0 Likes

my fans have 3 pin connector same we have in our motherboard for fans..can i test fans on that connector too??

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Yes if it match the motherboard pin header wires alignment.

Again you need to plug it in order to respect the wire colours, yellow here correspond also to red and the last pin is always the rpm sense.

Just be careful to check the right way to plug it.

untitled2.JPG.5b7ac5cf0c7d183f46c773e61458a85c.JPG

20181130_085051.jpg

ok buddy recent update..

first i checked the new fan on 9V battery and it is spinning .then i checked all three fans combined on 9V battery and all are spinning.

i uninstalled riva tuner+ MSI  afterburner ans uninstalled GPU driver from DDU in safe mode..

I checked my brother R9 390X on my mobo..and it is spinning from the starting when i turn on my pc.No drivers installed but the GPU fans are spinning in BIOS too.

it is possible that @zpetro57 mentioned in his comment that it may be a IC issue or main fan header issue??

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

As said before it's an interesting issue.
I don't know sincerely, but as mentioned before, the only thing you replaced are the fan and the fact you handled the gpu in/out the case.
The fan profiles are managed by the bios and the gpu itself, then there is as mentioned on the pcb the components needed to power the fan.

The fact that two fan were working before you replaced the broken one, let suppose that something happen after you pulled out the gpu from the case.

So either the bios get corrupted somehow, either you damaged the fan circuit components as mentioned before.

So i would check carefully near the fan header and the card itself for damaged or missing components.

The other possibility is that you fried the fan circuit plugging back the fan in a wrong way, creating a short circuit.

The fix is simple, if the gpu have no other issue and do not get worse, is to build a longer wire and plug it to the motherboard or directly to the 5v coming from a psu molex.
If plugged to the motherboard you can still manage the fan through the bios and the motherboard software or get a fixed fan speed if plugged to the 5v from the psu.
In both case it's a bit annoying but you can still use the gpu.

i updated the bios to the latest available version.and  when i installed the third GPU,after that  played games more than a month and all fans was working.

It seems like your solutions is more exciting.can you elaborate how to buiuld a longer wire and plug it to motherboard??

and thnx again for giving me your precious time

0 Likes

power supply issue looking a little bit difficult for me + my power supply fan was burnt  2 months ago so i bought a new corsair Tx650m

0 Likes

20181130_211804.jpg

buddy i got an idea..may be i plugged fan header wrong side to pcb??is that possible..?

black wire should be on right side or on left side when i plug it on pcb???

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Well ok, that's fine.

I found this picture, check yourself if it's the same card, model number.
The yellow wire used to sense the fan rpm need to be toward the capacitors, the black wire toward the end of the card.

img_20140717_191242.jpg

it worked thnx buddy.really appreciate your help 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Happy you sorted out.

0 Likes

this was not possible without your help buddy..Thnx

0 Likes

TRY BIOS UEFI SETINGS AND TRY DISCONECT FANS AND PICK UP 5V EXTERNAL POWER

AND TRY ALL 3 FANS!

AFTER THAT TRY REPLACE IC-REGULATOR FOR FUNS ON PCB OF GRAPHIC CARD

sub, 1. pro 2018. u 07:32 backkk <amd-external@jiveon.com> napisao je:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Gigabyte R9 270X OC all fans not working but GPU giving perfect

display in Red Team

0 Likes

So if your fans aren’t working, you should see if it is your fans, or your MB and components that don’t work

(try testing them on a different motherboard)

Then fix according to the issue discovered…

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

pls give load to your GPU and see if they start spinning within 5min
just run a game or benchmark and check

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

yes i checked that too but no fan spinning.i plug in my brother's GPU R9 390X and its fans spinning right from turning on the my mobo.

0 Likes

and i played quantum break but still no fans spinning

0 Likes