Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

kingfish
MVP

Fanless Calyos NSG S0 phase-change PC case hits Kickstarter

I thought this interesting......

"A company by the name of Calyos has launched a campaign for a fanless PC chassis called the NGS S0 that is designed to accommodate high-end hardware through the use of phase-change cooling for the CPU and GPU (and of course, lots of radiators).

Two years in the making and designed with help from Watermod, the NGS S0 can support standard ATX power supplies, any AMD or Intel motherboard up to E-ATX, up to four hard drives and a graphics card up to a GTX 1080 Ti.

Fanless Calyos NSG S0 phase-change PC case hits Kickstarter - TechSpot

9 Replies
savagebeastzero
Miniboss

Re: Fanless Calyos NSG S0 phase-change PC case hits Kickstarter

Hey kingfish,

Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on Caylos for quite some time recently since the inception of this project came to light. I'd love to see something like this come to the mass market and I hope they're successful in making this something users consider for their cooling options in the future. The results are fairly promising thus far in their tests, as well as from the independent media.

derrickgott007
Miniboss

Did they fix the inherent issue of condensation that's part of phase change?  Last thing I want is condensation on my mobo and cpu/gpus.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

I don't think condensation would be a problem with this design.  Traditional (as traditional as highly esoteric cooling gets) phase change cooling, utilizes a compressor to force a gas into a liquid state to send through the cooling loop.  Utilizing the compressor makes the resultant liquid far colder than ambient and gives top notch cooling performance.   The downside to a refrigerated coolant is the condensation of ambient moisture in the air.

The design employed by Caylos, has the liquid at room temperature.  There is no compressor and thus no need to worry about condensation.  Because of that, the cooling performance is very similar to todays AIO water coolers, instead of vastly superior like condenser based phase-change systems.

The main advantage here is that the unit is entirely passive, and gives AIO water cooling class performance at 18db.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Wow, this is a really innovative application of Jurin's law to drive a AIO Water loop cooling system.  I am familiar with capillary action as a method for drawing up liquid in chemistry "thin layer chromatography", but never considered you could amplify the effect to create a passive pump.  Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

0 Likes
t1m1d
Adept I

I've been following this project for a while, ever since I saw Linus's video on it last year. Pretty amazing stuff, but I gotta admit that price is a little hard to swallow.

0 Likes
kxuping
Forerunner

cool. If its really silent I will save money for one

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I would be inclined to agree.  If this is the real deal, I may have to replace my Lian Li TYR PC-X2000 in the living room as the premier hybrid HTPC/Gaming case.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

If they officially add GPU support RX Vega, I'm sold.  The idea of have zero moving parts and zero noise is just too appealing for me, 22kg be damned.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I received word back from Calyos that they are currently adding Threadripper support, and that Vega support will follow.  Put my order in.