cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

tymkoijn1
Elite

Cpu Z validation Question

So I was looking thru some Stuff on CPU -Z and noticed something Weird. I had looked at my single core performance and noticed it was Higher that the I7 7700k. I know that CPU-z Is used for overclocking benchmarks but most people are saying that the I7 7700k's Single core performance is what makes it a better gaming CPU. plus the Stock speed of anI7- 7700k is 4.2GHz so how can my 1700 oc'ed to 4.1 beat it in Single thread performance. Not really sure what this would mean Here is the link to the validation score AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4091.71 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR   and for comparison this is the 4.0 clock Still beating it AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3991.91 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR Just really confused on the benchmarks, Am I missing something or did i just get really lucky in the silicon lottery.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
18 Replies
spinalfailed
Challenger

Re: Cpu Z validation Question

First off you need to know that not all CPU's are created equal.  With that said it looks like the is a little bit of silicon lottery going both ways.  You probably have a fairly decent overclocking CPU(I haven't searched to find the median Ryzen numbers) and the 7700 that is listed does not say(at least I'm not seeing it on mobile even in desktop mode) if it's stock or being overclocked and if it is, by how much.  People are relying far too much on benchmarks which beyond testing usage after making changes really offers nothing in the way of real world day to day use.  Are you really going to push it to 100% every time you use your PC? Does it really matter if you get 164 fps versus 175fps in some games?  People get to wrapped up in the numbers, enjoy your new PC! 

tymkoijn1
Elite

I'm not really concerned with the benchmarks I just thought it was strange and wondering if anyone had some input on what the single core benchmarks mean. Did the reviewers that I watched get a piece that wasn't as good as most people will get? Is the Chip being properly tested in order to give us the consumers a fair comparison. I know Ryzen is not a gaming CPU, but I do Content Creation and Streaming. When I bought mine that was the purpose. So, I do have to weigh the Single core and Multicore performance. If a game is running at 60 not 45 it makes a difference if your stream is set to 1080 60fps and 1080 30fps, How much Performance hit do I take when running this application as opposed to another. All of these things are what have to be considered when choosing a CPU and I am just trying to see what the Single core benchmark can mean in relation to that. 

0 Likes
curoamarsalus
Adept I

In my understanding, (someone correct me if wrong) single core performance is best checked when clock speeds are the same. That said, Ryzen has better single core performance, but the 7700k has a much higher clock speed that makes it "faster."

0 Likes
tymkoijn1
Elite

The Reviews are all different on a lot of them, Some they say Clock for Clock Intel is faster while others say Ryzen is. been trying to figure out which one is right, that's why I said I was confused about the scores. 

0 Likes
mjpbmp
Adept III

I have read, and heard from those close to me, that the CPU's cut from the middle of the wafer perform better than the outer edges.  How much of a difference and whether it has even been verified/demonstrated I do not know.

0 Likes
tymkoijn1
Elite

That makes sense, considering the way the wafers are created, but still, the ipc's shouldn't be that different. from chip to chip.

0 Likes
tymkoijn1
Elite

If you want a good basics on how cpu's are made How a CPU is made - YouTube this is a good one, i think this is the company AMD uses but dont quote me on that

mjpbmp
Adept III

All of that is really beyond my understanding.  I do know that you will not get exact test results from test runs even when they are back to back.  There are too many variables and things going on.  That is why testing methodology is important to get comparable results.  System architectures need to be nearly identical to get comparable results, and even then you will not get exact repeatable results. 

0 Likes
mjpbmp
Adept III

That was a good overview.  I have an engineer friend who works at Qualcomm and I only understand about 1/2 what he tells me.  He is a Mechanical and Software engineer and is currently a senior engineer on the low level software side.  God bless all of them for figuring this stuff out so I can build and use computers.