Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

speedou
Adept I

COD:MW - Can see thru walls when close of them

Hello there,

I recently bought a RX5700XT and I experience a strange bug on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
I don't know if that's related to drivers but I saw another guy having the same issue.

So the issue is that on multiple maps when you are too close of walls you can see thru walls, when you walk along side of them you can see also thru them, this bug is very annoying and apparently it's there since version 20.x.x of Adrenalin drivers. I don't know if this bug is there also on other games, but maybe it is.

I posted pictures below.

See you !

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This issue is resolved in 20.2.2, download here.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

sounds like a clipping error for me - you are "in" the wall instead of infront of it
does this error exists in 19.12.1?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
old_noobette
Adept II

Hey your card gave you a wall hack!  no modding needed LOL

hoak
Adept I

I have the exact same video card and problem as  speedou in Modern Warfare. I've tried everything that might be a possible configuration source for such an issue: turned off overlays, made sure my frame rate limit was below my display refresh rate, experimented with many (though not all) of the driver settings, have done three clean Windows and driver installs -- all to no avail.  The only fix is to go back to the 19.2.1 driver benman2785 mentions -- though that driver has some texture corruption issues of its own.

This issue effects a lot more geometry then just walls -- in fact virtually anything you're close to or mount a weapon on in lean/mount mode -- which makes for some enormous cheating opportunity in multi-player, and is probably why there is so little reporting on this issue. I also have the game installed with virtually identical settings on an NVIDA 1080Ti system and do not experience any of these clipping issues under any circumstances, ever...

This is a VERY EGREGIOU ISSUE, especially so for a relatively new video card with a new (and very successful) 'AAA' game that has competitive multiplayer, where both have seen several updates, the developers of both should be communicating, and you'd think AMD would want its hardware to be regarded as acceptable (if not desirable) in competitive gaming events -- which for the latest iteration of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare it definitely is not...

The same story here. Disappearing walls and weird shadows.

0 Likes
hoak
Adept I

Does AMD even visit these forums? Perhaps it would be more constructive to discuss AMD video card issues on the NVIDA forums?

You need to file a support ticket for AMD to know about it. https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
hoak
Adept I

Well I finally had time to submit a Service Request per pokester's link, stating the following:

I have an RX5700XT and am experiencing the issue described with pictures in this thread on the AMD (and numerous other) forums:

https://community.amd.com/thread/248540

The geometry clipping is not a 'sometimes' or marginal issue but nearly all map geometry the player model approaches or touches, will be clipped and only presents with drivers after 19.12.1 (drivers with the new interface make-over). 

My testing (corroborated by other users) has been exhaustive and has definitively narrowed it to a driver issue or possibly defective AMD hardware that presents through driver changes; testing everything including but not limited to:

·  clean Windows 10 installs with every iteration of AMD's graphics drivers
·  turning off all overlays and features in the driver
·  turning on each feature in the driver individually to trouble-shoot
·  making sure frame rate limit is below screen refresh limit

As this issue does not present with the older 19.12.1 drivers for multiple owners of this card (though some graphics corruption and other issues do), that this is a best selling 'AAA' title, and this issue is widely discussed on AMD, Reddit, and Modern Warfare forums since December -- it would seem a reasonable request where many paying AMD customers would appreciate AMD's attention to this issue.

If I hear anything back from AMD support that gets beyond the 'did you turn on the power switch', or other typical exhausting, eye-roller redundant trouble shooting like 'is the game cd in the drive' (I actually got that from Ubisoft last year), I'll post an update here.   A little cynical about AMD now after their treatment and support for the Radeon VII so soon after release, and their falling through on their driver promises there -- but I'd love to have my doubts assuaged.

If anyone else learns anything hope you'll post it here. 

Wow, You are really wanting this to be fixed, did you know that third party

GPU'S are sometimes manufactured by the third-party manufacturer. For

example, Asus will fully build the entire GPU Board. (I don't know exactly

how much of it they build)

So since the Card you are talking about is a third party component not

directly manufactured by AMD, then I would suggest also contacting the

manufacturer of that card...

AMD (pun intended) I am very sorry that you are having this issue.

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
hoak
Adept I

So, here's the latest, which I'm afraid is not much help, and is pretty much what I anticipated the way of a reply to my service request:

Dear William,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200942670]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your response.

I have reviewed the entire email thread As I can see that you have tried multiple trouble shooting steps but still you are experiencing the same issue .

It seems like driver issue I will take this as a feedback and I will forward this to our relevant team for further investigation I hope you understand please wait for next driver update . I appreciate your patience .

Mean while could you please try by adjusting the textures in Radeon software to Get an Optimal Gaming Experience.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-012

Thanks for contacting AMD

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Sadly, not much more help there than, "Did you try the on switch?" or, "Is your display connected to your PC?" -- but not very surprising I guess... And my response:

To Whom It Concerns:

It would appear my original service request was either not read or understood. For emphasis:

"My testing (corroborated by other users) has been exhaustive and has definitively narrowed it to a driver issue or possibly defective AMD hardware that presents through driver changes; testing everything including but not limited to:

· turning off all overlays and features in the driver 
· turning on each feature in the driver individually to trouble-shoot"

In fact have done this with every version of the driver since  19.12.1 on a clean install of Windows 10, which is apparently more diagnostic and QA testing effort anyone at AMD is making -- should make it abundantly clear I have not only tried what is suggested in "AMD Global Customer Care" response below, I have gone above and beyond it's recommendation in trouble shooting, and am not the only party that has made that effort.

Perhaps someone at AMD can try running the game on an RX5700XT and see for themselves what happens? I'd suggest using the COOP game mode as the issue presents there the most readily and is easier to observe. It would seem a reasonable assumption that someone at AMD would actually be concerned and interested in how shipping games are actually running on their paying customer's products...

Sincerely,

Will

As you can imagine, at this point I'm not very optimistic about the outcome here.

speedou
Adept I

Hello guys !

Just to let you know, this issue is fixed with the latest Radeon driver (20.2.2).
Every issues related to graphic issues is fixed and I'm not experiencing any additional issues.

Thanks amd ❤️

You sure speedou?  I suggest trying a few of the coop maps where this presents much more dramatically.  If you say it's good to go, I believe you and will do yet another clean install to see for myself...

0 Likes

The issue has begun occurring for me. I'm on an rx580 and have tried the latest drivers (21.4.1) and have now even gone back to trying 21.2.2 with 0 luck. Any suggestions? Its legit game-breaking and annoying 

0 Likes
speedou
Adept I

Yeah yeah Im sure ! You can go for it. But while they fix drivers for a game, they breaks other games... 

Thanks speedou! I just did an update, and that seems to have fixed the Modern Warfare issue completely; I tried a few other games as well and have found no issues so far. Going to do a clean install now just to make sure there's no update anomalies -- I remember back in the days of ATi there were kludges where installing one driver on top of another would get things to work that could not be accomplished any other way, and as AMD still offers a Cleanup Utility there are still occasional driver update issues, so I'm just going to make 100% sure we're over this hurdle for anyone else that's on older drivers, bumps into this issue and discovers this thread looking for help.

hoak
Adept I

Windows 10 clean install verified on an AMD reference X470 platform: 20.2.2 definitely resolves the geometry clipping issue.  Note: some texture issue still present on terrain and with some scopes with some settings, but these also occur with the older 19.12.1 driver. So this looks like the best Modern Warfare driver for RX5700XT owners that experience clipping -- it also performs a little better as well.

Thanks again speedou!

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This issue is resolved in 20.2.2, download here.