Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Best type of RAM to get?

When it comes to RAM, I'm not exactly well informed... so I seek all you expert PC builder's and your deep wisdom!

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard with 16 GB (4 GB x4) of DDR3-1333 Corsair RAM. I'm looking to upgrade to around 32 GBs but I literally don't know anything about RAM.

Any suggestions on brand or anything else I should know? Thanks in advance!!! =)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Best type of RAM to get?

After a bit of search, the best you can go for without messing with overclocking is four 8GB dimms at 1866MHz, provided you have an FX cpu.

Other than that, the lower the CAS latency, the better. For example, the CAS 9 and 8 parts end up faster than CAS 10 or higher parts in the link I have included.

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard Compatible Memory - PCPartPicker

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

I have AMD Radeon Gaming ram, which is the 2133 mhz. It does come in 16GB kits (2x8) I have an Intel system but I can tweak it to either 2400 mhz at cas 10 or 2133 at cas 9 both benchmark about the same. I have run these memories with AMD as well, MSI board.  I am also pretty sure they have Patriot make their ram. The ram has worked flawless for me. I also have had the 1866 mhz AMD ram and it also gave me no issues with many boards. As dimz1867 said we are at a point in ddr3 that its best to balance speed and latency.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thank you so much!! Both of you =)

0 Kudos