Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

APU's

I am looking to build my wife a desktop for her cricut machine. It doesn't need to be overly powerful. And was thinking of doing an APU build. So, who has used an APU build and what do you suggest? BTW i want to go the AM4 socket apu.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: APU's

You could get an A12, an A320 board and some rams. That should get you going

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I looked at the combo and read a lot of people saying it would be better to go for a B350 if im not mistaken. know why?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

B350 based motherboards allow for overclocking the CPU, so if you want to do a little overclocking and squeeze some extra performance out of your APU, the B350 will have you covered.  B320 doesn't have that feature built in.  You also get a few extra PCIe lanes for things like NVMe SSDs.  I believe you also get 1 more 10 gbps USB 3.1 port.

My Wesena case currently sports a Kaveri A10-7850k.  I am also planning on upgrading it when Ravenridge APUs launch for AM4.  Probably will go will the motherboard below, or maybe the X370 variant.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157780

Highlighted

Aye. I was suggesting A320 if your wife is going to be puttering around. B350 will let you pinch that CPU in the bum and get it into rocket status. Usually APU builds don't use overclocking because they are a well rounded budget chip with graphics onboard. Also x370 is pretty overkill for the upcoming APUs. At that point Id suggest an R5 with dedicated graphics over an APU - unless you're getting your foot in the door and expect to upgrade the CPU and purchase a video card later. Or if you need the PCIE slots.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Yes, it is just for my wife to putter around on as you said. I do want it to be a last effort for other tasks though and eventually maybe throw an R5 1600 in it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

as the others have said  definitely go with the B350 board they are not much more and will be a large improvement if you put a R5 in it later down the road. you might even look into like a ryzen 3 with rx 550 or 460/560 since the ryzen cores are more powerful then the cores of the current a12 or wait for theRyzen based APU's

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

As you are going APU, check the video output connectors of the motherboards. Some motherboards have only one or two connectors. HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI. I dont remember seeing an AM4 with VGA. Check your monitor input.