Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Any way to post build logs here?

I would like to post a build log here on the AMD forums of my Wall mounted PC project!

I do already have one on overclock.net, but I want to bring it here to the AMD forums since its going to be an AMD build.

I hope you guys get excited about it! The people on OC.net don't seem to be as excited as I thought although there has been some delay with the wrap and SSD. This is of course going to be for my dad and not me, so it might go a little slow paced.

Here is the OCN forum: [Build Log] Wall mounted AMD PC (videos will be made too!)

And the part 1 video up on youtube:

Hope you guys get interested, and help me find a place for this...

Maybe sam.tehrani​ could help me

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Any way to post build logs here?

Hi Alex!

Of course you can . I think the Red Team here would love to see it. Let me know if there is anything specific I can do to help you...

Sam T.
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Ill go ahead and do a separate rig showcase for it, and of course I will update it accordingly. I think right now the only issues I have are: good carbon fiber "stickers" to buy and buying a better GPU because we are currently putting in an Nvidia GT 610 (i know srry) - but to cover it up I had the brilliant idea to get the shroud of my 270 and put it over it- but all will be explained in the showcase   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

I don't mean to criticize, but my own personal opinion here is that putting an AMD logo on an Nvidia card would be tacky. The shroud is a good idea, but any AMD logo on the shroud should be removed or covered.

500 watts should be more than enough for a build like this. I always shake my head when people use a ridiculously over powered PSU. Nice motherboard btw.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

The reason for wanting to put an AMD sticker is to keep the AMD theme I was shooting for, I might just leave the shroud and not put it on there. But I don't want to ruin the theme with an Nvidia card lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi James,

I'm just curious, have you ever used those "power" calculators you find on various manufacturer's websites? I'm still somewhat unsure if they really help. I've used them before but I normally go with PSUs that are more powerful than what's required, to simply future-proof.

Anyways, if you do know of a good calculator, would you mind sharing it with the rest of the community here?

Sam T.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

@jamesc359 The last PSU I purchased was way overpowered at the time.  860 watts of platinum plus power... for a pc that required maybe half of that, at the time.  Fast forward 1 year, I won an R9 285... added it into the system easily.  Fast forward 2 years, I won an R9-290X just 2 days ago... still no need to upgrade my PSU.  The advice you hear about getting the best PSU you can afford is good.  It allows for easy upgrades... so shake your head all you want, but I believe a solid high power PSU is a necessity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Unfortunately I haven't found any PSU calculator that's accurate enough for my liking. All of the ones that I've tried have always been excessive in their recommendations. Because of this I prefer to make the calculations myself, which really isn't that hard if you're willing to look up the TDP of your components.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

While I'm not against the so called future proof, I don't normally advise going to excess in a power supply. Mostly because you lose a lot of efficiency when idling. I am a huge supporter of 80+, the higher the better.

Have you ever calculated how much power you really need? I'm guessing you'd probably need 650W at most. That includes a little overhead just for the sake of safety too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Guys,

You've made some good points. And here is a dumb question for you...(please bare with me as I'm not as savvy as some of you). Here we go "How do you calculate how much power you need?" (Is it as simple as adding all the TDPs of each component?)

Sam T.
0 Kudos