cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ads658
Adept I

AMD Platform Security Processor leads to lag

So many laptop users who use AMD cpu find out that AMD Platform Security Processor can cause tiny lag when they are playing games\watching videos\listening to music. The lag normally last for 1-3 seconds, if you know glitch hop , it just sounds like that.

Moreover, a large number of users find out that when they turn off  the AMD PSP in BIOS, no lags are found in the same situation.

And this problem is popular for couple years. I do think AMD engineers should pay attention to this problem if AMD wants to keep their market share.

Thanks!

13 Replies
Qanatoz
Challenger

How much people affected by this? Never seen this problem.

I googled and can't see this coming.

0 Likes

maybe this problem is hard to describe,here is the similar one 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1353904-amd-ftpm-causing-random-stuttering/

Now I understand what you mean.
I have this stuttering once in 3-5 days. I thought that it is power save related because I don't turn off PC.
It does not fix with latest bios for my motherboard(AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C), currently latest drivers and updates for Windows 11 does not fix it.
At that forum one user fixed it by using hardware TPM SPI module.

Just checked online shops. TPM SPI module for my motherboard out of stock everywhere.

This problem difficult one. You can't specify to engineers what they need to do to repeat problem. We have not so much reports about it, because people just not used fTPM before Windows 11. So we need more information about how much people affected and information about it causing troubles to report.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Need to look for new topics with same problem and redirect them here.

The problem is well shown in this topic:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1353904-amd-ftpm-causing-random-stuttering/?do=findComment&comment=1...

It can occur almost any time regardless of system load. 

0 Likes
marvelousxt
Journeyman III

I have this issue too, hope AMD can push every motherboard vendor to fix this, even x370 board. For now, I disable fTPM in the bios to prevent this happen.

CPU 2700X
Mainboard: Asrock X370 Gaming X

Ryzen 2700X | GSkill TridentZ RGB 2x8G 2933MHz | Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC | Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X

Done same thing.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x (VMR-B0)

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 (firmware version 2.20)

ads658
Adept I

hi guys, I update my bios recently, and the problem sames to be less severe, I will keep on watching it. Thanks to all the replys, and I do wish that AMD could win the battle against Intel gen12

0 Likes
sarah-chan
Journeyman III

Unbelievable! What Bull**bleep**! I had the exact same issue. I spent so much money on my new Rig with a 5800+ Ryzen and an Asus X570 board and I had the same random lag freeze stutter for 1-3 secs about 3 times a day. Impossible to find the culprit until I asked randomly and someone brought this issue to my attention. After disabling the AMD Security Thingabuzzaloo, the issue is gone! I lived with it for weeks and tried so many things, all in vain. What a crappy bug. Who is a fault here? AMD or mainboard manufacturers? How long has the issue been around? I have Windows 11 on my System, so disabled TPM will cause Issues when I updated here and there. I hope this dumb issue will get a fix. If not, this was the last time I bought an AMD CPU. I never had stupid issues like this on Intel Systems.

Stop ignoring issues even if its not AMD problem, least AMD can do is nag at Microsoft and complain their operating system is not working correctly on AMD hardware, it started with level 3 cache now tpm stuttering, so many placebo fixes posted that do not fix issue at all, its so irritating.

Poehler09
Adept I

What a really nastly issue!

I was searching for months to find a fix for all these weird stutters and nasty lags... That was really giving me a hard time at online gaming. Pure frustration, I can say

There is also an interesting article about this, on techradar

Take a look at: Windows 11 frame rate stuttering reported by some users with AMD CPUs

0 Likes

Update your bios to the latest might "fix" the problem, for me It does or some what I didn't notice any stutter anymore.

Ryzen 2700X | GSkill TridentZ RGB 2x8G 2933MHz | Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC | Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X
0 Likes
TimeTurn
Journeyman III

Had the same issue for month now.

That really p... me off that neither AMD or Microsoft fixed the issue so far. I invested hundrets of Euros in Hardware thinking that there is a hardware fault in the system (switched the Board, changed RAM to 2x 8 GB DDR4-2666 instead of 2x 16 GB DDR4-3200 since I read someone talking about this caused by RAM), also tried another PSU and M.2 SSD. So everything except the GPU (MSI Geforce RTX 2070)  and CPU (Ryzen 9 3900X) has been changed - no change of course.

Then about two weeks ago I heard of the fTPM issue and switched off fTPM in UEFI - now the lags are gone.

Windows 11 works fine thow, I simply used a Windows 10 installation media (USB stick) and copied the "install.esd" from Windows 11 into the source folder overwriting the Windows 10 one - that works just fine, installs Windows 11 without any issues despite TPM and SecureBoot are off now.

AGESA 1.2.0.5 does not fix this by the way - Gigabyte released an UEFI update on January 13th with AGESA 1.2.0.5 - no changes at all regarding the issue.

Gigabyte B550M S2H / AMD Ryzen 9 3900X / 2x 16 GB DDR4-3200 / Geforce RTX 2070 / 1 TB NVMe SSD (PCIe 3)

0 Likes

Have exactly the same issue with the AGESA ComboAM4v2 PI 1.2.0.7 update for my Biostar B550MX/E Pro (UEFI B55DS505.BSS)

SO MUCH FOR THAT WILL BE FIXED IN AGESA 1.2.0.7 - AMD.

Time to switch back to Intel...

0 Likes