cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

warpfact0r10
Forerunner

AMD Joins Gen-Z Consortium - an industry alliance working to create a scalable computing interconnect & protocol

Interesting that the membership is missing a couple of big names. But the members are big enough players without them.

"A new storage industry consortium, the Gen-Z consortium with members from AMD, ARM, Broadcom, Cavium Inc., Cray, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), Huawei, IDT, Mellanox Technologies Ltd., Micron, Samsung, Seagate, SK Hynix and Xilinx announced a scalable computing interconnect and networking protocol called Gen-Z. The flexible high-performance memory semantic fabric provides a peer-to-peer interconnect that allows efficient and cost-effective processing of vast amounts of new unstructured data that will be generated by the Internet of Things, real-time processing demands and other emerging applications. This consortium is part of a bigger effort with other industry groups to create an open-data center architecture for the future." -- Gen-Z Enables Networked Pools Of New Memories

Gen-Z Consortium

Gen-Z Consortium (@GenZConsortium) | Twitter
http://insidehpc.com/2016/10/gen-z/

3 Replies
adr_tech
Miniboss

Re: AMD Joins Gen-Z Consortium - an industry alliance working to create a scalable computing interconnect & protocol

Interesting! So this is basically sort of group computing? Not entirely sure what all of this means, then again its also quite late at night for me

Edit: lesson learned don't read while tired, what this seems to me is a collective effort of different companies to create faster hardware?

0 Likes
warpfact0r10
Forerunner

Re: AMD Joins Gen-Z Consortium - an industry alliance working to create a scalable computing interconnect & protocol

Think Hypertransport with broader industry adoption. I suspect part of this is to combat the expensive, less-flexible proprietary solutions a couple of the big players (hint:green/blue) are pushing.

0 Likes
adr_tech
Miniboss

Ah i see! That sounds like a great idea!

I've definitely been against the proprietary solutions that others have been coming out with, one of the many reasons for  why i love AMD has been their open source technologies

0 Likes