Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

caboose
Journeyman III

5700 XT causing computer Crashing

My rig displayed on pcpartpicker.com:    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C6Mg9G 

I recently got my hands on a Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT as an upgrade. I ensured that my old drivers were removed and then added the new drivers. I keep experiencing crashes during game play on mid to high end games. My old graphics card could handle the mid tier demands without an issue but when the 5700 is faced with those graphical demands it crashes at random times. Loading, mid play, cut scenes, in 5 minutes, in 1 hour... its just random.

I feared it was a wattage issue so I upgraded my Power Supply. 

After that didnt work I returned the card and got a new 5700.

After that didnt work... well im here.

Is my CPU too weak?

My RAM sticks arent great but could that be an issue?

Please someone help me, im $REALLY$ out of my budget at this point.

0 Likes
8 Replies

Just by looking the only thing i can see is low RAM only 8gb but that shouldn't make it crash, maybe do a stress test all but gpu, then add the gpu and see what happens. another safe way to make sure you did remove all drivers is DDU,  google it, that will really clean all old driver stuff, also make sure bios is using the 5700 as gpu and not the intel gpu,
also make sure you don't have the steam overlay or origin or any of those those sometimes cause bugs, update all drivers and net framework had a recent update so make sure.

Good luck, hope that helps in some way.

0 Likes

What is your Power Supply at present?
I have a PC with a similar specification. I could fit an RX5700XT on it for testing reasons as I have one to work on at the moment. It is probably the Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 GUI/UI using too much CPU process. Open Task Manager and keep a look out for how much CPU Resource that GUI/UI is taking - even when minimised. 

0 Likes
chris1969
Adept II

you have 2 sets of different mem modules slotted in your machine,

2 x 4gb crucial cl9 1.35v

2 x kingston 8 gb cl10 1,5v

in this case your 2 kingston modules are the slowest but have more ram space 16 gig.

either you buy 2 x 4gb crucials cl9 1,35v modules exactly the same types, and get ridd of the 2 kingston modules resulting in a total system mem of 16gig.

Or you buy 2 x 8gb kingston cl10 1,5v each matching the same model and get ridd of the crucial mem modules, having a total of 32 gig of main system ram.

you could mess around with the bios on mem module lowering voltage on one set and increasing the cl on the other, but i can guarantee you are going to have nightmares about it, just buy one extra set matching the one you want to keep.

Edit:

I now saw you are on a budget, just get ridd of the 2 crucials 4gb each, and slot the 2 kingstons in slots 2 and 4, as sugested by your mobo manual, having 16 gig in total mem.

steve_23
Journeyman III

I had the same Issue with My RX5700Xt.

My problem was neither in my PSU(850W) or my RAM(single module) as they both are new. I changed my motherboard from b350 to B550 and everything solved. I can't tell what's the reason behind it. May be the newer motherboards have a superiror PCI-E slot.

In case, nothing works for you, this might be the way to go. Your Motherboard is also an older one. You can upgrade to a new LGA 1200 CPU as their motherboards have new PCI-e slots.

0 Likes
arturbc
Adept I

I have this same issue with my Sapphire Radeon RX 5700XT, any BIOS mode.

My PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM (2x16GB DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair), MB Asrock x470 Master SLI/ac, Power supply 750W.

I already used CrossfireX of RX580 + RX480 with very less issue then the RX 5700 XT, but on internet search I found in Reddit a good workaround to minimize this issue, add +25% in power limit and set 80%+ in fan max power. This issue occurs many less times than stock.

I hope helpful you.

Waiting AMD update driver with solution to this issue.

0 Likes

More definitive solution (in tests):

Stay disabled AMD link server, instant replay, instant gif, etc. with video encode load. (Tests in AMD Driver 20.4.2 WHQL)

Without any issue after 2 days of long time gaming by day (4 hours+ continuous by day)

After end of week without any issue and tests on newest drivers, I send it to AMD via bug software report and RMA Sapphire.

0 Likes
cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

What was your old GPU? Note that the Navi GPU's are meant to cater to the average consumer, while still having the performance for gaming. I would still recommend a Polaris or Vega GPU over Navi. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
iiodaa
Journeyman III

I had constant crashes until i tried using 2 separate power cables to the gpu from PSU. After that i have not had any crashes. Before that i tried fiddling with undervolting and trying out different drivers etc. 

It works for me so try it out atleast.

0 Likes