cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: 4th Gen Ryzen and how reviewers will kick AMD in the nuts - AGAIN.

In future it might help if you provide links to the original articles you are talking about.
Maybe you just won the silicon lottery with your particular 3950X.
How did you overclock it again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

I am using the BIOS to limit the 3950X to one CCD

I am then using Ryzen Master to then configure that one CCD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

3200 (or 1600 Data Rate) is the highest JEDEC specification for DDR4RAM, that's why AMD states 3200.

AMD does however recommend 3600 (or 1800 Data Rate) RAM.

That's a little bit of info you failed to mention.

Once again, as I have stated numerous times, I do not overclock my CPU, I stay within the specs.

If you care to put up your CineBench R20 result that you achieve with your 2700X then we will see just how poorly my score of 10,170 is in comparison.

I would say you get maybe 4,100?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

I wrote down every step I made in configuring my 3950X here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/249957 

My friend, whose 3950X I configured on a different motherboard with different RAM has very similar results to my own, so no, I didn't get a golden sample or win the silicon lottery.

I posted the relevant portion of the articles. Although it was my bad that I didn't link to the actual articles themselves.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

So you are using Ryzen Master to overclock.
This: - is overclocking as a starter for 10.

"i) Click in the first field beside "C 01" and change the clockspeed. You should have absolutely no problems setting it to "4250". When you have done the rest of the configuration then test it and increase it (in my case it is set to 4300 and I have no problems). When you set one field, because the Green X is activated, all the other values will change to what you set."

RE:"

That's a little bit of info you failed to mention."

Where does it say that on the specification for the CPU?  It says 3200MHz.

Sure there are some AMD motherboards that claim to allow running Ryzen CPUs at higher RAM Speeds.
However RAM Compatibility can be a nightmare, and hitting those speeds often provides marginal benefit.
I know that Ryzen 2700X memory controller had lots of problems and the practical limit is 3200MHz with 4 sticks of 16GB RAM to give 64GB Ram in total.

If I run with a pair of 16GB sticks I can hit slightly higher RAM speed.

Ryzen 3600 memory controller seems better w.r.t. Ram Compatibility, based on builds I have done., and maybe that is the case on 3950X as well.

How much performance improvement do you expect to see running Ashes on 3600MHz Ram versus 3200MHz?
Maybe 1% improvement in FPS?

In that case perhaps you would be interested in seeing AMD launch a 3950XT then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Which part of "JEDEC specification for DDR4 RAM" do you not understand?

For the 3950X AMD states System Memory Specification: 3200 MHz

For your 2700X AMD states System Memory Specification: 2933 MHz

What do you think the word "Specification" refers to?

You are getting into The Verge PC Build region of cognitively redacted now, or, to paraphrase from the movie Pulp Fiction, "Techie M**********r, do you speak it?"

AMD will not be launching a 3950XT and if you had actually comprehended my original post then you would know why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You need to make up your mind about if you want to use XMP profiles to overclock your RAM or not.
You claimed you are not overclocking your 3950X, even though you are overclocking it using Ryzen Master.

Since you lose the discussion you start to throw insults.

I pointed out to you for the 3950X AMD states System Memory Specification: 3200 MHz.
In other words, anything higher than that is an overclock.

In response you said earlier:

"3200 (or 1600 Data Rate) is the highest JEDEC specification for DDR4RAM, that's why AMD states 3200.

That's a little bit of info you failed to mention."

So make up your mind, are you overclocking your system or not?

I know what the base recommended memory speed is for Ryzen 2700X. I own one.
I also know how difficult it is to get stable memory overclock using XMP Profiles with Ryzen 2700X.
I have a stable system running Ryzen 2700X at 4.3GHz all cores  and 64GB of RAM running at 3200MHz and it passes MemTest86 and Karhu RamTest in Windows 10.

If you know anything, you will know that is pretty much the limit for Ryzen 2700X RAM performance.
I managed that by tweaking motherboard BIOS settings and sending the data to ASUS for BIOS updates.

RE: AMD will not be launching a 3950XT and if you had actually comprehended my original post then you would know why.
I comprehend you do not know what overclocking means.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

It is not overclocking when I am running the CPU within spec and optimising the CPU whilst staying with that spec. In spec meaning staying within the voltage and power envelope, which I have already stated and you obviously STILL have not comprehended.

The CPU spec states a base all core clockspeed and a maximum single core boost - that's it. Whatever all core clockspeed I can squeeze out of the voltage and power limits is, by definition, NOT overclocking.

I had to get a Ryzen 1st Gen 1200 for my X470 board to upgrade it to a BIOS which would recognise the 3600X and it ran very happily at 3600 CL16 (4 x 8GB).

If you really need to run dual rank RAM then you are a lot more limited in choice.

You are getting to the stage where you are just wasting my time with your ignorance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Yawn.

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

I really get what jou are saying... nu won results often beat results from reviews. 

In soms cases of might be the reviewer, most of the time of will be of het stuff.

For example reviewers often get rev1.0 of a motherboard or even a beta board. Also they get a BIOS which often focuses on stability. In turn memory support might not be great and sometimes even required running on JEDEC specs, instead of rated timmings.

Is your BIOS newer? Most likely! Is the agesa version more recent?

Is your Windows up to date? Reviewers mostly use an image as a standardized Windows install.

The videocard drivers can still influence the CPU score...

Most reviewers do not retest when a new piece of hardware gets tested. So see review numbers as a comparision between components at releasetime. They give an indication, but not realworld exerience. There has been a lot of ryzen optimisations to a lot of softwaretitles recently, which also adds up.

You always have to review the reviewer for yourself, but a good reviewer will not go full opitimal-setup. They should strive to use a setup which enables them to isolate a component and quantify their numbers. They require these tests to be the same (as much as possible) everytime, in order to compare it with previously tested hardware ( & software).

Some reviewers do revisits, or update their tests when it can't be avoided. They will mention it, as system and software specs.

Still, Nice numbers @Op

Tldr; read those whole article to get context on those numbers and validity for yourself, dont just look at the numbers.

0 Kudos