cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devgurus Discussion

wsluser
Journeyman III

WSL driver support

I would like an official answer from AMD on this. I'm not interested in hearing people's opinion. Only facts and theories that are constructive to this thread if you're not from AMD. With the support of AF_Unix on Windows and the release of Insider build 17093, there is now WSL interop with Windows AF_Unix for socket streams. This means in theory, a driver file installed on Windows could be passed to WSL. This obvious issue here is the fact it's a Windows driver, not a Linux driver unless some type of interop was created by hardware vendors such as AMD here or by Microsoft. However because the file can be passed, there could be the simpler solution of simply having code put into the file that contains the Linux driver essentials that are commented out and not run through Windows but could be run under a WSL Distribution, we'll say Ubuntu as it's officially on the Windows Store. Is this possible or could AF_Unix be utilized at all to expose the hardware Windows uses to WSL? If something in between, what would be the best approach for this and how long would it take to implement with the understanding that if it's now possible, this would recieve the highest priority for AMD devs to allow developers who use WSL to finally address huge performance issues, especially when performing mmap functions. The fix for Meltdown is expected to slow all platforms down slightly. This performance drop may not noticeable from a user perspective, but it will be noticeable to a developer. This question is created with the understanding we don't currently have a systemd, therefore no udev to speak of at this time due to proprietary init from Microsoft being used at this time . (We do now have fstab support though, so there's a win).

0 Likes
8 Replies

Then ask AMD. This is a user-to-user help forum.

Email Form

0 Likes

First time posting on here. I was assuming they had a forum similar to Github where both the AMD and regular users can post and comment. Surely there are AMD developers on here who can answer. I also find it rather annoying that every post and comment needs to be moderated. It would be far more effective for people to just file a report. I'm not willing to keep waiting for some moderator that's holding up the communication process. So I will try what you suggest but people can still bring ideas to the table here as it could help AMD figure a way to support hardware support for WSL on Windows.

0 Likes

I am moving your post to the Developers section of this forum.

All posts by new members go through a mandatory moderation process to prevent the forum being spammed.

0 Likes

Ray,

Thanks for moving my post. I submitted the Online Service Form though I haven't gotten anything back about it yet. Thanks for moving the question to the appropriate forum. I still disagree with the method of preventing spam but that isn't relevant to this topic and don't want it to be sidetracked. I hope I can get some type of official response from here or there soon.

0 Likes

dipak​ for awareness.

0 Likes

Thank you, Ray. I've forwarded this query to get a response regarding this.

0 Likes

Hi Nathaniel,

I've sent you a PM. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi Nathaniel,

First of all, thank you for your patience and sorry for this delayed response.

Now coming to your question related to WSL. Microsoft controls the access policy of the AF_Unix infrastructure in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and controls what functionality of the underlying platform are exposed.

Any questions related to it and its intended use to access driver interfaces would have to be directed towards Microsoft.

Regards,

0 Likes