cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

seunghyun
Journeyman III

Windows display driver development guide for Radeon R9 295x2?

Hello,

I'm Seunghyun Lee, a programmer(not in graphics field) from South Korea and I want to build my own windows display driver for my R9 295x2 as my personal study project.

MSDN documents say there are user mode and kernel mode drivers and what they're supposed to do, and I believe that implementing those drivers requires the direct control of the hardware.

But I couldn't find any document covering the subject.

Is there document or resource suits my purpose which I can access to?

AMD Customer Care support suggests that I should ask here.

Forgive me if my English is so poor that I coudn't make myself clear.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
jtrudeau
Staff

Welcome! I have whitelisted you, so you can post anywhere in DevGurus.

I moved this topic into "General Discussions." Questions about actual driver development are pretty rare.

Not sure how much help you'll find, since this is an unusual topic. But here are a couple of resources that might help.

AMD's hardware documentation is here: http://developer.amd.com/resources/documentation-articles/developer-guides-manuals/

You can search to see what information is available for the processor you want to create the driver for.

If you are working in Linux there are open source drivers. You may be able to get the source code for those. You might start here: RadeonFeature.

A wikipedia page also discusses this, and that might be of help: Free and open-source graphics device driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck! I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Welcome! I have whitelisted you, so you can post anywhere in DevGurus.

I moved this topic into "General Discussions." Questions about actual driver development are pretty rare.

Not sure how much help you'll find, since this is an unusual topic. But here are a couple of resources that might help.

AMD's hardware documentation is here: http://developer.amd.com/resources/documentation-articles/developer-guides-manuals/

You can search to see what information is available for the processor you want to create the driver for.

If you are working in Linux there are open source drivers. You may be able to get the source code for those. You might start here: RadeonFeature.

A wikipedia page also discusses this, and that might be of help: Free and open-source graphics device driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Thank you!

The links you provided would be great place to start.

0 Likes