cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devgurus Discussion

dviguy
Journeyman III

Research into DVI connections

Hello, I am not a developer; I am just mad. I was encouraged to post here by AMD Global Customer Care. I wrote about DVI connections to put my pain into a form that may provoke or inform others. I am criticizing cable & adapter makers for making false claims about the resolutions you can get from single-link DVI. I bought a used PowerBook A1138, because I liked the idea of keeping my older OS X Tiger and Leopard operating systems alive on a big screen - and the A1138 can drive a big 2560 x 1440 screen, because it supports dual-link DVI-D through its DVI-I port! It uses the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 card:

card profile.png

2560 x 1440 at 60 Hz is the native resolution of the Dell U2518D display that I am using. It has HDMI and DisplayPort ports. I thought the task of finding a cable should be simple, because the signals carried by HDMI are electrically compatible with the signals carried by DVI. I happily bought the Club 3D CAC-1210 DVI-to-HDMI cable​​ only to find out, that is does not support the resolution that it claims to support. This got me started with DVI connections. The reason I am posting this here, is because I want somebody to tell me that I am wrong to criticize those cable makers. If an AMD expert could weight in, I would trust that his or her views are unbiased. Somebody who knows something about graphic cards, DVI and displays? It would be astounding if I can learn here that some graphic cards can actually extract a resolution above Full HD from single-link DVI. If that is the case, then the Wikipedia pages about HDMI and DVI should be rewritten.

Tell me what you think about this piece: DVI connections. Why are dual-link DVI adapters rare? Why do single-link DVI adapters even exist? Why do single-link DVI cables claim to support above-FHD resolutions?

0 Likes
0 Replies