Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gic4107
Adept I

Is Kaveri a HSA-compliant processor?

Hello everyone,

I have survey lots of HSA introduction and find that GPU should be preemptible and support context switch.

But the wiki AMD Accelerated Processing Unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says GPU compute context switch, GPU graphics preemption will support in Carizzo APU (2015).

So I wander whether Kaveri is a HSA-compliant processor?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
bobwhitecotton
Adept III

There are no HSA conformance tests in order to test compliance, so no processors can be HSA compliant.  Kaveri supports some HSA features but not all as defined in the specification.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
sarobi
Adept III

Sure Kaveri is HSA compliant, it just doesn't have GPU compute context switching.

0 Likes

@saboti

According to this article (AMD tops processor evolution with new mobile Kaveri chippery • The Register) Kaveri has GPU compute context switching. Can you double check which is true?

0 Likes

From the page you linked:

"Kaveri's GPU is essentially a version of AMD's "Hawaii" GCN cores (...) The two big differences, Macri said, are coherency and context-switching – both key elements of HSA, for which Hawaii, being strictly a graphics architecture, had no need."

0 Likes

If you have followed the development of AMDKFD kernel driver, you may know that Kaveri has context switch for queues, but it lacks the mid-wave preemption support, i.e. hard pre-emption, required by the Full Profile of the HSA Platform spec. This feature was said to first appear in its successor Carrizo.

bobwhitecotton
Adept III

There are no HSA conformance tests in order to test compliance, so no processors can be HSA compliant.  Kaveri supports some HSA features but not all as defined in the specification.

Bob

0 Likes