Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Resources

johnnyenglish
Forerunner

Doing what I said You shouldn't (DDU)

I know I... and for that matter  …pretty much everyone online said:

Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove every bit and crumb of the old drivers. Only then, fresh install.
What do you know? That's the right way. But... I wanted to do a controversial video and test out a thing or two.

I did what You ought not.

I hit update on Adrenalin and let it do its thing. Update.

johnnyenglish_0-1661294029699.png

I arrived at 22.8.1 and played games, old, new. Looked OK. No crashes, yet!
I went to Davinci Resolve and... no Joy.  But its a known issue.

johnnyenglish_1-1661294136079.png

Time to roll back using, AH! 🤣 Windows Restore. What a mess.

…or not.

I have now the 22.5.1 WHQL because I need to keep editing. Luckily 22.8.2 seems to have that sorted out.

What's the point of all this.

SIMPLE

I'm yet to encounter any problem with not using DDU at all. Although, if you change from nvidia to AMD or vice versa, DDU is highly recommended. From a RX480 to a RX6800 I just updated the drivers to see how it goes and specially how good is the update feature on Adrenalin.

Q: What are your thoughts? Should you do it (DDU) every time?

The Englishman
5 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I use DDU regularly, but I don't think it is always necessary. I use it because the few times I used the updater in Adrenaline I had some serious issues. They ranged from artifacting to Adrenaline crashing. This time, from 22.8.1 to 22.8.2, I had an issue where Adrenaline crashed four times in a row even after restarting my PC. It is always worth trying the update tool in Adrenaline so you can keep profiles and settings, but I don't hesitate to use DDU and AMD Cleanup Utility if I run into issues. So far this version has been solid. This being said all I have played is Project Zomboid. 

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM 3200Mhz, Gigabyte RX 6800 XT Gaming OC, Corsair RM850x 850 Watt Fully Modular PSU, Win11Pro
ThreeDee
Miniboss

I can't remember the last time I've used DDU .. but it did help resolve a driver issue I was having on my wife's setup by cleaning up all the driver doo residue .. 

IF you ARE having odd GPU related issues ..it's a great go-to to give yourself a clean slate to troubleshoot from if nothing else. A clean slate is might of all you needed to resolve your issue.

|5900x w/Noctua NH-D15 2x140mm Fans|x570 Taichi|2x16GB RGB HyperX Predator 3200@3800 w/1:1 FCLK|Gigabyte Gaming OC 6800 16GB|HX1200 1200wtt 80 + PLATINUM|Nighthawk Z-RGB Case|8x120mm RGB Fans|
Suetan124
Adept I

I've always used the Adrenalin update feature and never had a problem with it. I've never used DDU.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Same here.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
Justifier
Challenger

I only use DDU when things get *really* funky.

Tend to just use regular factory reset with the internet unplugged otherwise

5900x • 6900xt • 32gb CL14 3600mhz • 850 W PSU • 420mm Arctic II AIO • Geometric M8 Cowboy • Guilded.gg/justifiers