cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

boxerab
Challenger

Would like to use CodeXL on Visual Studio 2015 Project

I have a complex Visual Studio 2015 project, with a lot of C++ host code, and many .cl files.

So far, I have been developing "by instinct", using theoretical understanding of GPU architecture

to optimize and design the code.  This approach has worked quite well so far, but it is time consuming.

I am ready to take things to the next level, by looking at low level machine code, occupancy, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good approach for me to start using CodeXL on my project?

0 Likes
1 Solution
dorono
Staff

Hi,

CodeXL does not yet have a Visual Studio 2015 extension.

You can use the CodeXL standalone application to debug, profile and analyze your application and CL code.

1. From the Windows start menu, launch CodeXL.
  2. Create a new project (File-> New Project, or CTRL+N)
  3. In the new project settings dialog:
    • Select the location of your application's executable file in the Executable Path field.
    • Select the location of your CL files in the Source Files Directories field.
  4. To debug:
    • Make sure you're in Debug mode (use the toolbar Debug Mode button or the Debug menu command Switch tO Debug Mode)
    • Click the toolbar Start Debugging button (a green Play triangular icon).
  5. To Profile:
    • Use the toolbar or menu to switch to Profile mode and select the profile session type you want.
    • Click the toolbar Start Profiling button (a green Play triangular icon).

Follow the Quick Start Guide (from the menu Help -> Quick Start Guide), to learn how to use CodeXL debugging, profiling and analysis features.

You can also check out the recorded CodeXL 1.7 webinar which demonstrates many of CodeXL features: Power Profiling, Shader Analysis & More with AMD CodeXL 1.7 - YouTube

Doron

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi,

CodeXL does not yet have a Visual Studio 2015 extension.

You can use the CodeXL standalone application to debug, profile and analyze your application and CL code.

1. From the Windows start menu, launch CodeXL.
  2. Create a new project (File-> New Project, or CTRL+N)
  3. In the new project settings dialog:
    • Select the location of your application's executable file in the Executable Path field.
    • Select the location of your CL files in the Source Files Directories field.
  4. To debug:
    • Make sure you're in Debug mode (use the toolbar Debug Mode button or the Debug menu command Switch tO Debug Mode)
    • Click the toolbar Start Debugging button (a green Play triangular icon).
  5. To Profile:
    • Use the toolbar or menu to switch to Profile mode and select the profile session type you want.
    • Click the toolbar Start Profiling button (a green Play triangular icon).

Follow the Quick Start Guide (from the menu Help -> Quick Start Guide), to learn how to use CodeXL debugging, profiling and analysis features.

You can also check out the recorded CodeXL 1.7 webinar which demonstrates many of CodeXL features: Power Profiling, Shader Analysis & More with AMD CodeXL 1.7 - YouTube

Doron

0 Likes

Thanks, Doron. That is exactly what I was looking for.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I can't profile my code because my project makes heavy usage of OpenCL user events,

and the profiler doesn't support user events. Are there plans to support this feature in the future?

0 Likes

Got this working.  I had queued all of my kernels up in advance, to be triggered by a user event.  The profiler didn't like that. When I disabled that one user event, profiling started working. 

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

Indeed, it would be really nice if the Add-In would work. Regard this as a +1 on the feature request list.

Keep up the good work guys. Tooling is essential.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

We consider the CodeXL Visual Studio 2015 extension a high priority feature, and it is prioritized accordingly. I can't disclose details of future releases but that should speak for itself.

Doron

0 Likes

Hello Doron, Any updates by chance on Visual Studio 2015 support for codeXL?  Thanks. Ryan