Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeXL

Meteorhead
Challenger

CodeXL 1.1 OpenCL kernel code display

Hi!

First of all big congrats to the first VS2012 capable CodeXL release, been waiting for it for a long time. A welcome sight was to see that OpenCL kernel syntax highlight was also included in the dev tool. However, something is not right with this feature. When I am browsing kernel code, it stutters like crazy. I can scroll around the code 0.5 FPS, which is definately unusable.

While I was installing the installer told me it could not close all applications properly, although it did seem to do just fine. (although I have no idea why it would need to close Explorer and the Bluetooth stack too. I am using Win 8 64-bit)

The kernel file that causes the issue is attached. A fix for this issue would be most welcome (or some advise as to what might cause it).

Thanks in advance,

Máté

0 Kudos
13 Replies
kiranputtur
Staff
Staff

Re: CodeXL 1.1 OpenCL kernel code display

Hi Máté,

CodeXL installer behavior is expected since installer makes registry changes, installs redistributable vc++ runtimes and installs DLL's it is expected that  installer would want to acquire locks on all the resource before it proceeds and you would find this behavior in almost all the installer which changes registry or installs dll's.

Now coming back to stuttering issue with VS 2012 + Win 8 64, I  was trying to reproduce the issue you reported but I am not able to do so, I tried some of the sample kernel that came with AMD APP SDK 2.8 and some other like teapot, but everything worked like a charm for me.  I would definately like to recreate your issue inorder to do so could  you provide me  following info.

1. Catalyst version,  Display driver version ?

2. OpenCL Driver runtime. (you can get this through running clinfo in command line)

3. Please attach host code + kernel code where you saw this issue or if you don't want to share any sample

app with test code where it is reproduced would be just fine.

4. GPU used 7xxx series or 6xxx series ? or APU ?

Any other pointer that would be help me in recreating this issue is appreciated.

Thanks
Kiran Puttur

0 Kudos
Meteorhead
Challenger

I tried doing a reinstall of CodeXL first, just to make sure, but that did not bring any salvation, so down to info:

1. Catalyst 13.1, Driver version 9.012-121219a-151587C-ATI (as reported by CCC)
  2. Platform runtime: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1084.4)
  3. Code attached, it's no industrial secret. Unfortunately, there are sheetloads deps (GSL, SFML, SFGUI), so hope you need not compile.
  4. I am using Mobility Radeon HD 5870

The thing that might speed up finding the issue is that every single time I load a project (no matter which one), a CodeXL Error window pops up telling me "Failed to load the project". I can imagine the peoblem lies behind somewhere, but other than the error message, I tried profiling my app and it worked fine.

Cheers,

Máté

0 Kudos
kiranputtur
Staff
Staff

Thanks Mate,

I am looking into it, but I need SFML, GSL and SFGUI libraries to build the app,  I can't find x64bit SFML libraries in web, if you share all the libraries it wil lbe easy for me to repro.

Thanks again

Kiran Puttur

0 Kudos
Meteorhead
Challenger

I got prebuilt packages which should be good enough.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F942CBA43DCB6260!12441&authkey=!AE5W4vth4BqE57I

Let me know if you encounter problems.

0 Kudos
kiranputtur
Staff
Staff

Now I am able to compile but while running I could see the two shaders "gripper_Shaders_vertex.glsl" and vertex2.glsl is spitting out lot of errors, and I cannot get past loadShaders()

so this is preventing from hitting clenqueueNDRangeKernel and subsequently debugging the OpenCL kernel.

0 Kudos
Meteorhead
Challenger

I started ebugging this issue, but did not find what's causing the trouble. On my machine the glCompileShader inside the buildShader does not say any error, howerver the glGetShaderiv reports error code 1, but there is no build log available. The code works funny on linux too. If I place an intentional syntax error inside the shader code, the build log still won't show.

This however should have nothing to do with the initial problem I opened the topic. The application need not be built and run for the single gripper_Kernels.cl file to display unbearable slow on my comp. But still, I believe you can safely disregard the message, as the program still works (everything displays correctly even though glGetShaderiv reports there were errors. Strange...)

Do you have any idea why the CodeXL error appears on every project load by VS saying "Could not load project file"?

0 Kudos
kiranputtur
Staff
Staff

No Matter what I do, I can't reproduce your issue, even though I am having exact simmilar configuration as yours.

Browsing the kernel works fine, and I don't get  "Could not load project file" message when i load the project,

I am not sure whether VS2012 has corrupted for some reason or not, btw please look at the thread :

http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/160488

Try changing the indentation setting  (Tools->Options->Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Tabs -> Indenting) from Smart to None

0 Kudos
Meteorhead
Challenger

Hi!

I tried changing the indent mode to None, but did not help. I would really make a FRAPS video to prove I'm not messing with you, but FRAPS don't support Win8 yet. (F9 won't start the desktop capture)

There was absolutely no balck magic in either my Win8 or my VS2012 installation. As I mentioned, I did a clean reinstall of CodeXL too... nothing seems to work. Uninstalling CodeXL, and scrolling works like a charm again. The issue must definately be somewhere inside the extension.

What sort of issues could cause CodeXL to say the error I mentioned? Does CodeXL have it's own project files at all? Or does it just parse the regular VS2012 .proj files?

0 Kudos
Meteorhead
Challenger

I have captured a video of what I do to trigger the problem. It is in the same directory on my Skydrive for convenience, that I already shared a link to a few posts earlier. Hope that helps somewhat to see what my problem is.

Plus, after installation there is a dir on my drive D, which I believe should not be there. There is a single file under D:\VS_INSTALL_FOLDER\Help\CodeXL_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

I believe this file must've been installed elsewhere. Strange thing is, I did not ask the installer to install anything on drive D.

0 Kudos