Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Ziple
Adept I

Code XL feature request: formatting of GPU perf counters table

Hello AMD people,

I'd like first to tell you how thankful I'm toward you for providing such a nice tool like CodeXL .

Besides the lack of Direct3D/Compute support that I'm pretty sure you are working on, I'd like to make you notice that reading the results of a GPU performance counters profiling sessions is really hard (and tiring, and painful, and whatever you want). The faulty widget, is the one pictured in the joint image, with rows, but no column.

It would be pretty nice to have one column for each information/performance indicator...

Maybe it's just a bug, rather than a missing feature. I'm using CodeXL either as a standalone application or with Visual Studio 2012 ultimate on Win7 with an AMD HD5470M.

Thanks,

Damien.

0 Likes
7 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi Damien,

I'm glad to hear that you find CodeXL useful.

The counters table in the attached screenshot is definitely a bug. This is not how the table is designed to look.

I noticed the kernel names do not appear in the table. Instead, only addresses are displayed. Are you using pre-built binaries for your OpenCL kernels?

We'll investigate this further.

0 Likes

Well, in fact, it's a direct compute kernel running in this case as I have some difficulties with gpu perf studio (gpu perf studio freezes) and gpu perf studio isn't developed anymore...

I know that there is no official support for direct compute but it appeared that Code xl can handle perf counters tracing although i'm using direct compute...

0 Likes

Ziple wrote:

Well, in fact, it's a direct compute kernel running in this case as I have some difficulties with gpu perf studio (gpu perf studio freezes) and gpu perf studio isn't developed anymore...

Actually, GPU PerfStudio2 is under active development. Version 2.13 was released 6/5/2013.

0 Likes
kalyanpk
Staff

Hi Damien,

Are you running CodeXL on Localized Win7 OS (Language other than English)?

Can you please zip and send the profile output directory present in "C:\users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\AMD\CodeXL"?

or alternatively, you can right click on the session in profile session explorer and click "Open Containing Folder" and just zip the files and send it across to us for investigation.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

I'm using Win7 in french, so it may be to some differences in the locale.

Here is my zipped AppData/Roaming/AMD/CodeXL folder.

I hope it can help in some way.

0 Likes

Hi Damien,

We found the issue, and we are working on a fix.

For now, if you want a workaround for the session that you have, you can replace all ";" characters in your csv file, with ",".

This will enable opening the performance counters session.

You can go to the csv file if you right click on the session in CodeXL explorer tree, and click "Open Containing Folder".

Thanks,

Sigal

Ok, thanks

Keep up the good job with CodeXL!

0 Likes