Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

adm271828
Journeyman III

Writing ISA

Hi,

are there some tools to compile/link/execute ISA code, not generated from OpenCL or il?

0 Likes
5 Replies

AMD does not provide any ISA based tools except disassembly. The lowest level compiler is the cal compiler utilizing IL.
0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: adm271828 Hi,

are there some tools to compile/link/execute ISA code, not generated from OpenCL or il?

They used to provide an assembler but it was broke and they pretty said they aren't fixing it.

0 Likes

Thanks for the answers.

In fact, I would be ready to directly produce binary object, without an intermediate ISA representation, but the available documentation does not really help. It is obviously incomplete, with many missing parts (or requires implicit knowledge), no description of the binary image format, ...

Is there any hope that documentation improves to reach a level that would allow non AMD people to write a compiler?

0 Likes

adm271828,
There is already a project to create an open source shader compiler.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gallium
0 Likes

Thanks Micah,

I had a look, and I'm not sure this will help me. I am only interested into computing, not graphics. My wish is only to have a description of the binary image format, so that I could use calModuleLoad (there is a mention about a "CAL image document" in CAL programming guide) with custom made binaries.

Antoine

0 Likes