cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

favila
Journeyman III

WPF and Hardware Acceleration problem

I'm writing to enquire about WPF and Hardware Acceleration. We're developing an application with WPF and we have problems with performance and with ComboBox deployment behind the form. If we deactivate hardware acceleration we have a normal behavior. But if we activate it our performance decrease dramatically, doing the application unusable. Our environment: Core 2 Quad, Q9550 2.83Ghz 3GB Windows XP Pro 32bits Ati Radeon HD 3470 512 MB with last Catalyst version, Driver 8.931.0.0 Date 05.04.2012

We're developing a desktop application, 3.5 Framework,  WPF with a distributed DB SQL Server 2005. We're using MVVM as presentation pattern.

Our windows are created with "AllowTrasparency=True" but with older drivers we haven't combobox issue. Our customer need to update drivers because they need use projectors. 

Why does this happen? What consequences would hold off graphics acceleration?

0 Likes
8 Replies
kcarney
Staff

Hello!

Since you haven't gotten any replies on the forums yet, try contacting AMD Support by email here: http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/

or by phone here:

http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/global-technical-support.aspx

Good luck!

Kristen

0 Likes

Hi Kristen,

thanks for your response. I'm writing here because AMD Support replies me:

"Our customer service department would not be the technical resources to assist you with your software development inquiry."

I hope someone has had any similar issue and has solved it.

0 Likes

Oh man! That's frustrating. Sorry for the run around. Let me see if I can find someone in house to help then!

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes

Tranks Kristen. I hope you find something....

I'll continue to keep this thread.

Cheers.

Fran.

0 Likes

I still haven't found anyone yet. I'll keep trying!

Kristen

0 Likes

This is what I've found so far -- it's still on the radar. Sorry it's taking so long.

"Hmm, that’s odd.  I’m not sure what might be going on here (performance shouldn’t decrease, I would think).  From their description, it would appear there was a regression in the newer driver that caused a performance problem with WPF ComboBoxes.  Unfortunately, that GPU is four years old... "

Any chance you have a set up with a newer GPU?

0 Likes

Hi Kristen,

our costumer has a really big number of this GPU model and it's impossible to change it.

Do you know any other alternative?

Thanks for your efforts.

0 Likes

Here's what I've got...

"Please find out if non-power of 2 textures are used. On our old hardware, non-power of 2 textures are not supported by HW. In this case, WPF puts vertices in system memory and cause slow performance. Ask developers not to require non-power of 2 textures."

Does this help?

0 Likes