Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

niravshah00
Journeyman III

Why do we need CAL SDK?>

Hi,

I am using  Brook+ for developing my application.

I am using cpu for backend since i dont have the hardare but intend to have on soon AMD firestream 9170 .

I installed CAL SDK and BROOK+ SDK but i dont understand what the need of CAL SDK

Is it required while running the application on the device?

Also for running my application on the device the only changeI have to make is to change the BRT_RUNTIME =cal

is there anything else i need to do?

0 Likes
6 Replies
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Brook+ (and OpenCL) are built on top of CAL, so I'm pretty sure you need the CAL SDK (which I imagine contains the CAL compiler).

0 Likes

But when i am using cpu backend i dont need CAL sdk either to compile or execute the application.

I tried it. Jsut installed Brook+ SDK  compiled and executed with cpu backend.

Also this time searched the forum before asking the question.

What are the changes i have to do to make my aplication work on stream processor  is it just BRT_RUNTIME = cal ? or anything else also

0 Likes

That should be all.

As far as the CAL SDK, that was just a guess since I've never installed Brook+ without CAL (I use both).

0 Likes

can you try uninstalling CAL and see if Brook+ worked on ur device.

0 Likes

I have both cal and brook+ installed and both work ok.

And cal sdk is better for me because it does not have any limitations as brook+.

It can be used in a .net application for example which is impissible for brook+.

0 Likes

Hi geekmaster,

I am not comparing CAL and Brook+.

I am just asking that if my application is in Brook+ do i still need CAL SDK  to be installed.

I dont have the hardware so i m using CPU backend and it work fine without CAL SDK so my question is say tomorrow i want to run on FireStream card 9170 do i need to install CAL SDK . AND the only change i have to do is change BRT_RUNTIME =cal . Anything else?

0 Likes