cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

anachronox
Journeyman III

when using AMD APP's "lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so" the APU device spectre device cannot be seen

Hi,

I have an APU AMD A10 -7850K with the latest AMD APP SDK 2.9 as well as the latest Catalyst Drivers 14.4.

The OS is redhat 6.3

As a part of the installation for the SDK it set's up LD-LIBRARY_PATH to the path to it's own libOpenCL.so.

However when LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set I see 3 devices (it falls back to use /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so) :

AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Tahiti

Spectre

when LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to the AMD SDK's libOpenCL.so, the Spectre is missing.

Does anyone know why this is? I am using clinfo to see the devices

P.S. I have set the DISPLAY=:0 and chmod'd 666 the 2 devieces /dev/ati/card[0-1]

0 Likes
3 Replies
nou
Exemplar

that may be because you also point to older version of libamdocl.so which most likely doesn't support Spectre GPU. catalyst drivers contanin newer version of opencl runtime and add support for new HW.

0 Likes

I'm not sure, I don't see why it would work with the local libOpenCL.so which is quite old. But if new drivers fixes it then I'll wait for a new driver. Currently there doesn't seem to be any on the site for the APU so maybe they are remedying the problem as we speak.

0 Likes

Hi,

Sorry for this late reply.

For your reference, the libOpenCL.so library is responsible for providing the OCL run-time support and is a part of Catalyst driver installation package as well as APP SDK installation package. In Linux, the behavior (till applicable for last released version) is like this: after installation of APP SDK package, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to path of the libOpenCL.so coming with APPSDK, not the other one coming with Catalyst driver. The problem you faced could be for the similar reason, hence it was unable to detect spectre GPU. This behavior has changed now, and with the upcoming APPSDK, when Catalyst is present, the default OCL runtime will be pointed to library coming with driver (which is usually latest) and not with APP SDK.

Regards,

0 Likes