Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Re: What's wrong with this file?

Hi Nazim,

I could reproduce the problem on my Windows 64 setup.

I clicked on "view more details" in the windows error message and got crash details.

See the excerpt below. The fault module indicates the OpenCL runtime.

Will forward this to an appropriate team for a detailed analysis. btw, when blender crashed, it was taking around 770MB of RAM.

My system has 4GB RAM in it.... and there were still free pages left

"

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: blender.exe

Application Version: 2.6.4.0

Application Timestamp: 5074808c

Fault Module Name: amdocl64.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.1016.4

Fault Module Timestamp: 5065fc35

Exception Code: 40000015

Exception Offset: 0000000000f53679

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

"

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1742071/1m/BMW1M-MikePan.blend - I am unable to access this file.

If there is a spell mistake in the URL, can you please correct and post a new one? Thank you.

0 Likes
underhood
Journeyman III

Hi at my place the OpenCL kernel is working. Problem is it takes long time to compile and takes 31 GB of RAM out of 32. I need to compile without any other software on (as I do not have swap on my system). But after compilation it seems to be working just fine.

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Underhood,

I tried this on a machine with 4GB of RAM... I followed the repro case given by Nazim (the one with screenshots).

I was not using any external blend file. Just the default one that Blender starts with (in line with Nazim's steps for repro)

The application consumed some 800MB of RAM before crashing and there was still some free memory left.

I am using 12.10 Cat Driver on Windows 7, 64-bit machine.

AMD's engineering team is already aware of this issue and are tracking the same. FYI.
At the moment, there is no known workaround.

However, if the Blender team is open to optimizing their code for AMD HW, the engg team may be able to suggest some changes. 

For example, the VRay App that suffers from a similar issue got some massive improvements by moving to native functions. 

Hope this helps,

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

Blender is opensource. AMD can write patches to make it work

0 Likes
npm1
Adept II

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

thank you for your interest in this issue.

@developer the amount ram used by blender cycles exceeds the 512mb you mention

@underhood can you take a couple of screen shots: task manager, user preferences and other things that may justify blender cycles working

@nou if AMD are able to create a patch for this software can they do this please...

that would be awsome...

PS i've recently brought a Geforce card(i didn't want but had to due to some work) would it be possible to use nvidia's opencl implementation/compiler with AMD GPUs i.e. so that i could utilize the power of all my opencl gpus...

PSS with the latest drivers 13.1 CCC a new error comes up "insuficient private resources" with this new error the AMD compiler aborts compilation half way

PSSS can opencl use windows 7 swap partitions...

and finaly i will be posting a video which will further clarify the steps to reproduce the issue

THANK YOU

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

PS i've recently brought a Geforce card(i didn't want but had to due to some work) would it be possible to use nvidia's opencl implementation/compiler with AMD GPUs i.e. so that i could utilize the power of all my opencl gpus...

NVIDIA and AMD GPUs cannot be accessed using just NVIDIA OpenCL SDK. They will only show up in their own platforms, if an OpenCL implementation is found for them.

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Nazim,

I think the issue that Underhood is talking about is different from what you are mentioning.

The issue that I reproduced is by following your steps listed in one of your prev replies (with screenshots)

Also, I dont quite understand what you meant by "OpenCL using swap partitions". If you are just talking about the memory usage - The Swap is managed by OS and is not visible to applications and libraries. So, openCL will not directly deal with Swap

0 Likes
gtype
Journeyman III

Bumping in hopes of a resolution for this inexcusable situation. Cycles has been out for over a year and somehow amd still hasn't been able to update a silly driver to support some subset of the API. Just plain sad. If this issue is not resolved by the time nvidia 700 series come out, I'll have no choice but to change. This is not a threat nor a tantrum, I am just expressing how I feel here, I would very much like to continue with ATI, I just wont have a choice.

Anyway, BUMP for great justice

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Hi gtype,

I have not seen any post prior to this from you on this thread. So I have no idea what problem you are facing with AMD cards. The problem reported by nazim, was reproduced at our end, as is being looked into by AMD engineers.

In case you have some different problem to report, please start a new thread out of it.

0 Likes