Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

yurtesen
Miniboss

What is AVX 1.1 ???

Hi,

I see on wikipedia that piledriver based cores support AVX 1.1, but I couldnt find any information about what is included with AVX 1.1. Is this a mistake at wikipedia or what?

Thanks,

Evren

0 Likes
8 Replies
avk
Adept III

Since there is no AVX 1.1 flag in CPUID, I think we can assume that AVX 1.1 = AVX1 + FMA3 + F16C + BMI1 (probably, but not likely), because the Bulldozer core has just AVX1, and the Piledriver core has all of them. In other words, it's a marketing BS, so if you don't see something in CPUID specs, then it doesn't exist.

0 Likes

It sure would have been nice if they supported AVX 2.0 already. I couldnt find anything about AVX 1.1 at AMD site so I wonder how did they come up with AVX 1.1 at wikipedia.

0 Likes

At the moment, no one supports AVX2. Yes, Intel will release its first AVX2-CPU named Haswell next year, but I'm afraid we won't see AMD's AVX2-CPU anytime soon, because AMD has much less resources at its disposal. Still, there is a small hope to see AVX2 in the upcoming AMD Richland core, but this is still officially not confirmed.

About AVX1.1 in Wikipedia: Like I said, it's a marketing BS - no the CPUID flag you need = no the instruction set you can use.

Message was edited by: Alexey Khoshenko

0 Likes

Still, AMD supports FMA3 and FMA4 which is missing from Intel's offers so far...

Also, for AVX 1.1 to be marketing bs, there should be marketing material mentioning it?

0 Likes

Well, the only mention of AVX1.1 I have seen was some AMD's presentation about Piledriver core. I don't remember where and when I have seen it, and frankly I don't care. There is no an AVX1.1 CPUID bit, ergo it does not exist. Sapienti sat.

0 Likes

Can you post a link to the presentation you mention?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Sorry, I can't find it.

0 Likes

I also couldnt find any AMD document which mentions this. That was why I was wondering about it. However it is not so big deal, I was just wondering who came up with AVX 1.1 and what it is

0 Likes