cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

What ever happened to Open64?

Just a passing curiosity, I can't find anything official that says if Open64 is discontinued or not, but I like the ideas behind it and I would hope that AMD continues to develop that project.

0 Likes
5 Replies

OpenMP has more or less replaced that and several other "solutions"

OpenMP has been in Visual Studio 2008 and onwards

0 Likes

I'm not sure what you mean, OpenMP is an API, Open64 was/is a compiler.  Interesting that you connect those particular dots though...

and still, no official word from AMD about the discontinuation of a major project?

0 Likes

OpenMP works with C and C++ which has more or less replaced older solutions

A lot of old programming languages ended up being built for .NET framework

C and C++ are systems languages so they are suitable for BIOS and up

0 Likes

I think we're talking about completely different things or you're connecting a dot I'm not quite seeing.  Open64 is a compiler suite developed by AMD.  OpenMP is a multi-threading API developed by a team with no corporate affiliation to AMD...or anyone else that I know of, the OpenMP wiki page makes it seem like it's developed by their own group or something.  To be clear, OpenMP code gets compiled, Open64 is a compiler.  In any event, I'm confused on why you're comparing them because they don't serve the same purpose and I can't imagine how they'd have competed.  Are you saying that while Open64 provided a lot of things in the parallel programming arena, the sheer usefulness of one API over a whole compiler suite was enough to say that one 'replaced' the other?  If so, I'm still surprised that AMD hasn't said anything official about the future of the project.

0 Likes

I know Open64 was a compiler that would take FORTRAN and C++ but it's obsolete

I use Visual Studio which works for Windows projects

F2C is available for dinosaur code

shader model 6 brings waves to the developer to figure out, so in addition to std::thread now wave* calls for DX12

0 Likes