cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

stroia
Staff

What do you think of the new forums?

We are excited to offer this new way to connect with AMD experts.  The intent is to make it easier for you to get answers to your questions, track discussions that you are interested in and connect with people that can help you, or that you can help.  Let us know what you think.

66 Replies

That's a good point, I'll see if I can get a link to the developer.amd.com profile settings added to that page so that it is more intuitive.

0 Likes
stroia
Staff

I have been looking into this one.  It could take a few weeks for search engines to crawl these forums and start showing the right links.  We are looking into possible options to make the links redirect to the right threads, but haven't found a workable solution yet. 

0 Likes
KNeumann
Adept II

Hi,

just wanted to shortly share my experience with this forum. I'm quite new to it, so you can weigh my comments as you wish.

Just like some previous speakers said, I find the new forum style quite confusing. It seems that everyone is switching to this new design (the new nvidia forum is quite confusing as well). But I don't like it very much. I like the old threaded/structured style more.

Anyway, it's a good thing that the forum-page is faster than the amd-page (going off-topic I know, but the amd site is so annoyingly unresponsive and slow - that's a no go).

Also I appreciate the time you people from amd put into the forums here. Keep that up and you will always be my first choice when it comes to GPU/Vector processing

0 Likes

I appreciate your input.  Glad to hear it is faster for you, since some people were reporting that it was slower.  when you mentioned the "amd site" being slow, are you referring to amd.com or developer.amd.com (or both)? 

0 Likes
jaskij
Journeyman III

Just registered, but there is a part I didn't want to forget to post.

Being a CS student, I went and registered here, as I will soon be learning OpenCL under AMD APP SDK. But the job drop-down list didn't let me choose 'student' as a job, so now it looks like I'm a teacher at my university, which is just too wrong for me.

Could you please add 'student' to the list for jobs?

For visuals, the topic list feels a bit cramped, but I must second KNeumann, the forum does feel very fast

0 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I will add student to the drop down list for DevCentral registration.  Glad to hear you are also experiencing good web performance of the forums.

0 Likes
notzed
Challenger

Missed this earlier, but I have some observations now i've been using it:

- forum index is too narrow.  makes it difficult to read, even on my lo-res laptop that means only about 50% of the screen width is used for useful information.

-- everything on one page, with a very slow 'more ...' button means i never bother going past the first page

- everything is super slow and super cpu-heavy.  it makes my laptop hot and whine.  and no, i'm not going to change browsers just to access a forum ... (so it's not a connection issue, and not just a server lag issue)

- the editor, which was the weakest part of the previous forums as well, is still completely broken.

-- pasting text seems to take forever (well, it isn't instant by any stretch)

-- it causes a weird refresh of the input box, a flash, and often sends the cursor somewhere unexpected

-- sometimes it pastes twice

-- (i'd prefer a simple html 'textarea' input box with no extra processing - the khronos forum editor is ugly but at least it lets me type and paste)

-- takes a while to load

- everything is just spaced out a bit too much

However, it's  a big improvement over what was there.

The editor and the speed issue are the big ones.

0 Likes

Thanks for your detailed feedback.  Some things are already on our list for the next update, like forum widths. We have had mixed reviews on the page speeeds... some say it is slower and some say it is faster, so the more details you can provide on your platform the better.  With the mixed feedback, it makes me think it could be platform dependent. 

Regarding the editor.  The HTML option is there if you look in the upper right hand corner of the text box.  Have you noticed buggy behavior while in that mode (or in the "advanced editor" mode)?

Glad to hear that you still feel like it is an improvement over the old forums though

0 Likes

I'm using the html editor by default, i don't like the advanced editor.

The slowness is obviously platform dependent - my 6 core/HT workstation can cope, but then again i can have 4 cores hard locked and not even notice on that thing ;-).  But for the forums I'm usually using firefox 3.6.x on a dual-core laptop, and don't like the newer versions so wont be changing any time soon (it's the one in this distro anyway) -  and most of the intarwebs run just fine on it.

0 Likes
SillyRob
Journeyman III

Hey, just a minor feature request: GLSL / HLSL syntax highlighting for code sections.

Regards.

0 Likes

I'll add it to our feature reqeust.

0 Likes
TiguSoft
Journeyman III

Previous forum was good. I'm not big fan of change...
Also, impossible to find this page easly - googling "amd forums" (for me) gives lots of other 3rd party forums instead this on

Actually scratch that.
It is very bad.

I come here to resolve problem with Linux drivers for Radeon not working, by asking a question on Forum.
Instead I see some "zones" and there is no zone for linux nor for drivers that I see instantly, anyway they are not the forums.. are they?

0 Likes

These forums are geared towards software development, and less towards driver issues and compatibility.  Perhaps that is why you aren't finding what you are looking for here.  There is a seperate support page for diver issues here: http://support.amd.com/US/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Also, I did a quick search on Linux and Radeon (I don't know if this is your issue), but there was a knowledge base item that popped up that you might want to check out: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU83ATICatalystLinuxHotfix.aspx

I hope these links help you find the solution.

-Sharon

0 Likes
moozoo
Adept III

I don't like it. Not one little bit.

Between the side margins and the side panels 2/3rd of the screen space is gone.

I rather side panels like "Actions", "Popular Tags", "Top Participants" , "Space Overview", "Unanswered Questions" went away. Actions should be a narrow menu at the top.

I want the full width screen width for recent topics.

moozoo wrote:

I don't like it. Not one little bit.

Between the side margins and the side panels 2/3rd of the screen space is gone.

I rather side panels like "Actions", "Popular Tags", "Top Participants" , "Space Overview", "Unanswered Questions" went away. Actions should be a narrow menu at the top.

I want the full width screen width for recent topics.

+1

0 Likes
stroia
Staff

Thanks for your input moozoo.  We have added this to our list of things to improve, so that the core content takes up most of the page instead of having fixed widths on the margins and center content. 

In the meantime, you might want to play around with viewing "content" from the "Browse" area (see the top right link "Browse".  The format of that page is closer to what you are looking for, however there are set filters for that content, so you'll have to play around with it to see if it is something useful for you.

0 Likes

stroia wrote:

In the meantime, you might want to play around with viewing "content" from the "Browse" area (see the top right link "Browse".  The format of that page is closer to what you are looking for, however there are set filters for that content, so you'll have to play around with it to see if it is something useful for you.

Most peoples use forums as instrument, not as "how I spend my day" goal.

So better to have convenient defaults and not force peoples to spend time for finding relevant info, changing settings and so on.

What was wrong with old forums (besides disgusting message editor) ? Why AMD broke working thing and create something that hard to use ?

0 Likes
Sc00bz
Journeyman III

Needs a way to change your email address or a way to delete your account. I also think it might be illegal to force people to agree to a TOS to disable email alerts. For those of us that were forced to get an account years ago to get the SDK.

0 Likes

Hi Sc00bz,

We are in the process of changing the auto email updates so that they don't automatically happen.  To change your email address, you need to login in to the developer.amd.com site and edit your profile there https://ssl-developer.amd.com/membership/Profile.aspx.  We are also in the process of updating the Jive profile so that it contains a link back to the developer.amd.com profile for easier access.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Likes

That brings me to a registration page? This is awesome "Membership in AMD Developer Central is free, but the benefits are priceless." 404 benefits not found. Can you just pretend like I'm a spamming bot and delete my account? I'd like it deleted because you don't know what security is I doubt you even hash passwords since you don't know how to hash the "secret answer" to the "secret question". I'm glad I never give real answers: What is your mother's maiden name? My is a 30+ character string of random. I feel sorry for those that truthfully answer those because of companies like yours.

0 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about the benefits page 404-ing.

Your account has been deleted per your request.

Cheers!

Kristen

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

How to browse new forums with "newest comes first" order? I spend few minutes to find a way to copy url of newly created thread after I leaved it. Browse mode shows "most popular" and only "most popular". Please, bring back time-of-reply based order and make it even if not default but at least AVAILABLE order!

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Browse discussion: don't you think that filter for zones is required.

Being in OpenCL mode and hitting browse I get this thread as first browse element. Do you really think it's right effect?

More: ok, you bring whole forum site at screen and leave up to user to filter relevant info. But where filter by zones ? Nowhere!

Filter by tags is nice of course, but why you define such entity as "zone" (OpenCL zone and so on) and not offer filter based on this entity selection???

Forums ordering, thread ordering are complete mess in this new look!

0 Likes
amdaudiovideo
Journeyman III

Well I'm not an AMD expert by any stretch....though I have successfully used AMD processors and built several powerful DAW based systems....my knowledge base is in Pro Audio production and not programming in a computer language, guess my language is the product of music. So you developers don't look down your nose at us end users because without us you wouldn't have as much of a purpose...hehe!

I think this developer forum is potentially a fantastic place for AMD and it's partners to come together in a solution solving, innovating line of communication. I'm here for many  reasons but my main reason is get AMD to allocate a special team formed for the purpose of stealing market share from Apple in the area of High-End Audio and Pro Video solutions. There is no such resource for us High-End Creation power users in the AMD community and I find that unacceptable and I am on a mission to see AMD position itself as a leader in this modern world of DAW's and DVideoW's. So yes I'm very excited to be here and I truthfully hope I can achieve the results I'm after by showing AMD they can be a huge part in the vastly growing DAW and Video production community. AMD has the technology and the innovation to do it if we can just get rid of a few stiffs and their high paid salaries off the golf course and put together something that makes APPLE sniff our direction with their nose in the air wondering who this newcomer is that has the audacity to be the new ART pros and take a portion of their profits.

0 Likes

I would prefer phpBB.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

After few months of usage I think new forums just awful. Really. They ugly, they waste useful screen space, they offer crazy formatting, they slow on C-60 APU (AMD, you advertize this APU as "HD internet", but it can't handle your own forums ! I see difference each time I open from netbook or from desktop PC).

You spent money, you spent programmers time just to get such very inconvenient and completely unneeded for real forum work upgrade... Pity for you. And pity for all like me who forced to use this c..p! I waited more than half year for some improvements - nothing, sorry for rough language but boil point reached

0 Likes
turboscrew
Journeyman III

I'm so new here, that I don't really have experience.

Now at first, the forum is so much different than any other forums I know that it's hard to figure out what to find and where, and how to use this forum.

0 Likes