cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

laobrasuca
Journeyman III

Re: What do you think of the new forums?

hi stroia (what a strange nickname for such a beautiful face)

well, I've tried the profile change thing, but I still see the old info on my details (privacy configuration). Do I have to wait sometime after editing the profile at https://ssl-developer.amd.com/membership/Profile.aspx in order to see the changes in the profile at http://devgurus.amd.com/people ? By the way, it would be better if we could change all these stuff in only one place, preferably in http://devgurus.amd.com/people which is more straightforward to think about.

and another thing, it seems that the email visibility is marked as "for all" in the profile preferences. I've got some spams after this forum change and could understand why until I see my profile. It would be better if the visibility was something like "for friends" by default.

as for the forum change in the big picture, I'd say, I can get used to. The threaded thing is a little confusing (last post does not necessarily appears at the bottom if you answer to someone's post), but we can change that in preferences, so. The only annoying thing is like some others said, when clicking in a link provided by a search engine, we are redirected to the http://devgurus.amd.com/welcome instead of pointed to the thread itself.

0 Likes
Myrmecophagavir
Adept I

I've noticed something strange when creating new topics. If you're editing text, and you press ctrl+shift+left cursor, the word to your left gets highlighted as you'd expect. But press left again while keeping ctrl and shift pressed, and the word becomes unselected. From then on, continuing to press left results in more words being added to the selection as you'd expect; but the last one stays deselected.

This seems to happen unpredictably. I've only seen it with the last word in a post, which is usually where I want to start selecting. But after pasting some text in it starts working again. Seems to be 100% reproduceable when starting a post from scratch though. Tested using IE9 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

0 Likes
Myrmecophagavir
Adept I

Also, how do I change my email address? There's no option to do so from the user interface.

Strangely, the address specified there isn't even the one it's sending notifications to! Must have multiple addresses stored somewhere in your db without showing them here?

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

The nickname is my first initial of my first name and my last name, Troia.  I am aware that it is a slang term in Italian which is not so desirable, but not much I can do about that, but perhaps I will change my nickname since this is a world wide community

Glad to hear that you will be able to get used to the new format.  If the orginial poster marks an thread as "answered"  then that will get posted to the top so that it is easier to see at a glance, and as you said you can change those settings in your profile options if you'd rather see the discussion in order. 

The profile information integration will improve over time.  This is our first integration with Jive, so all of your feedback is helping us decide where to improve.  I will pass along your comments to Jive regarding the email default settings as well.

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

You can change the email options in the "Preferences" section.  To go there, click on the little arrow next to your name in the upper right hand corner of the page and select "Preferences" (I'm not sure of the German translation). On that page is all of the email settings.  You can turn them all off, or pick and choose which things you'd like sent in an email.

Hopet his helps.

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

That is strange!  You should be able to change your email address in the developer.amd.com profile section.

Go into your profile settings on developer.amd.com https://ssl-developer.amd.com/membership/Profile.aspx and update there.

0 Likes
brevilo
Adept I

@stroia: how about an answer to this one? As l.schubert said, it's more than annoying.

Thanks

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

What do you think of the new forums?

I have been looking into this one.  It could take a few weeks for search engines to crawl these forums and start showing the right links.  We are looking into possible options to make the links redirect to the right threads, but haven't found a workable solution yet. 

0 Likes
KNeumann
Adept II

Hi,

just wanted to shortly share my experience with this forum. I'm quite new to it, so you can weigh my comments as you wish.

Just like some previous speakers said, I find the new forum style quite confusing. It seems that everyone is switching to this new design (the new nvidia forum is quite confusing as well). But I don't like it very much. I like the old threaded/structured style more.

Anyway, it's a good thing that the forum-page is faster than the amd-page (going off-topic I know, but the amd site is so annoyingly unresponsive and slow - that's a no go).

Also I appreciate the time you people from amd put into the forums here. Keep that up and you will always be my first choice when it comes to GPU/Vector processing

0 Likes
jaskij
Journeyman III

Just registered, but there is a part I didn't want to forget to post.

Being a CS student, I went and registered here, as I will soon be learning OpenCL under AMD APP SDK. But the job drop-down list didn't let me choose 'student' as a job, so now it looks like I'm a teacher at my university, which is just too wrong for me.

Could you please add 'student' to the list for jobs?

For visuals, the topic list feels a bit cramped, but I must second KNeumann, the forum does feel very fast

0 Likes