cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

stroia
Staff

What do you think of the new forums?

We are excited to offer this new way to connect with AMD experts.  The intent is to make it easier for you to get answers to your questions, track discussions that you are interested in and connect with people that can help you, or that you can help.  Let us know what you think.

66 Replies
sschuberth
Adept I

To be honest, I find the new forums quite confusing. The whole structure seems very unclear and nested to me. And at first I was also confused that new and old forums seem to run in parallel. I guess I would have preferred if AMD had used a well-known / established forum software like phpBB or IP.Board instead of whatever is now used.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your candid response.  I expect you are not alone.  They will take some getting used to for sure since they are so much different from the standard phpBB forums that we all know and love.  We trust that with time and more use, you will enjoy these new forums.  We are keeping the old forums up temporarily to give everyone a chance to acclamate to the new forums ("Jive") platform, and redo your links as needed.  You will notice that on the main page of this forum devgurus.amd.com, you will find all of the same categories as were in the old forums and all of the content has been migrated over.  And the idea is that the correct answer will be easier to see at a glance, and you will be able to connect with people who are helpful.

We have created some learning aids, which can be found in the Getting Started area, and we would encourage you to use them to learn more about the capabilities within the new forums.  If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again!

bingo88
Adept I

The new forum design is, well, I have to get used to it. However, there are some translation issues in the German language version (for example in the preferences screen the German equivalent for "On" is "An" and not "Am"). And I can't change some of my profile information like programming languages, country, state, name. At least I couldn't find any other place where I could change these information.

Thanks for bringing the translation issues to my attention.  I will see if I can get that fixed. 

Edit:  A ticket has been opened with Jive to correct the German translations.  In order to edit your programming language and such, you will need to go to developer.amd.com and edit your profile by clicking on the upper right hand corner "profile". 

0 Likes

Philipp - Can you point me to a specific thread/posting where you've noticed the issues?  I would like to turn it over to support for additional investigation.   Thanks.

0 Likes

Just open the user preferences and change the site language to German. Then on the same page all the radio buttons which have been labeled "On" before are translated as "Am". But it should be "An".

I'll switch to the German version again and report any translation issues I encounter.

0 Likes
Marix
Adept II

Quite confusing, but I think the layout is something everyone will get used to. I really like answer rating system and the question marking system for threads. This is a huge step from the old forums. What I currently miss is some read/unread state so I know which threads updated since my last visit.

0 Likes

Glad to hear you like the rating system. 

Regarding the read/unread state.  You may find what you are looking for regarding the read/unread state in the "What Matters: Activity" area (see the icon of the running man at the top right).  This will show you everything new/unread from people in your "friends" list and in any thread that you have contributed to.

If you want to keep track of a thread without contributing to it, you can "track" the thread by clicking on the  "Track in Communications" in the right hand column of the thread you are interested in.  Then the unread responses will be recorded in your What Matters: Communications" (see the icon of the person with the thought bubble at the top right of the screen).

0 Likes

Yes, but this is only part of what I am looking for, and in my humble opinion the less important one.

The major issue is being able to become aware of new interesting posts without wasting time on things I already read. Currently I always have to think about when I visited the forums last to be able to have an indication on which threads I already check for interesting bits of information and which threads have changed since then.

0 Likes

Gotcha, we'll see if it is possible to add that feature in the future.

0 Likes

Here's how to see read/unread threads: http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/159266

0 Likes
thesmileman
Journeyman III

Can you please give an option to make the content wider? I have a 4k monitor and you are only using about 30% of the pixels. It takes forever to scroll through things like this even on my 1920x1200 the main bar is so skinny and with all the pictures and content on the left and right side it is very very skinny.

Also it is very bright but maybe there is a way to change that.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, we will add that to a feature list for the next round of adjustments.

0 Likes
DimaNovikov
Journeyman III

The most funny thing I have found is that in my profile is written that I work in Aerospace and defence industry. Actually I have never worked there and what is even more funny, I have not found how to change this part of my profile.

0 Likes

See if you can go into your profile settings on developer.amd.com https://ssl-developer.amd.com/membership/Profile.aspx and change your entry.  It is possible that when you originally signed up it defaulted to the first option in the industry field. 

0 Likes

Oh yeaр, it works. Thanks. Although I have not found a freelancer there .

0 Likes

hi stroia (what a strange nickname for such a beautiful face)

well, I've tried the profile change thing, but I still see the old info on my details (privacy configuration). Do I have to wait sometime after editing the profile at https://ssl-developer.amd.com/membership/Profile.aspx in order to see the changes in the profile at http://devgurus.amd.com/people ? By the way, it would be better if we could change all these stuff in only one place, preferably in http://devgurus.amd.com/people which is more straightforward to think about.

and another thing, it seems that the email visibility is marked as "for all" in the profile preferences. I've got some spams after this forum change and could understand why until I see my profile. It would be better if the visibility was something like "for friends" by default.

as for the forum change in the big picture, I'd say, I can get used to. The threaded thing is a little confusing (last post does not necessarily appears at the bottom if you answer to someone's post), but we can change that in preferences, so. The only annoying thing is like some others said, when clicking in a link provided by a search engine, we are redirected to the http://devgurus.amd.com/welcome instead of pointed to the thread itself.

0 Likes

The nickname is my first initial of my first name and my last name, Troia.  I am aware that it is a slang term in Italian which is not so desirable, but not much I can do about that, but perhaps I will change my nickname since this is a world wide community

Glad to hear that you will be able to get used to the new format.  If the orginial poster marks an thread as "answered"  then that will get posted to the top so that it is easier to see at a glance, and as you said you can change those settings in your profile options if you'd rather see the discussion in order. 

The profile information integration will improve over time.  This is our first integration with Jive, so all of your feedback is helping us decide where to improve.  I will pass along your comments to Jive regarding the email default settings as well.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

I think that new forums too heavy for my C-60 APU based netbook. Page updates too slow and it's annoying. Make it faster and more lightweight, please.

look nice, but slooow...

0 Likes

Hi, Raistmer --- might I also ask where you are located? (country, continent)?  Would like to know if latency is playing a part of this as well ....

0 Likes

Doubt it's connection latency. I have quick updates on older pages and with other sites.

Location is Moscow, Russia. Browser is Chrome (more important IMHO).

0 Likes

Thanks for quick reply 🙂   I've tried Chrome and it actually performs faster for me (and thanks for letting me know that as well).  I will provide you feedback to Jive directly.    Take care, -T

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

I have posted in the old forum that in Firefox I got NV and Intel OpenCL forums bookmarked, and they both got their fancy logos which is provided by the site, but the AMD forum has no logo. I know this is most likely the least of your concerns, it just seems somewhat unprofessional, that even a stinky webshop has it's own logo in the URL bar, but not AMD...

Other than that, I think there's a lot more feature in this forum, it just takes time to get used to, which eventually we will.

0 Likes

I'm a fan of the little logo too   I'll see if I can do something about that.

0 Likes
Marix
Adept II

There is another thing I stumbled upon. Currently I am being swamped by notification emails. Is there some option to only get one notification email per thread until the next visit. This is the way it was in the old forums. I looked for such a setting in the Settings-Area, but haven't found it. (Using german version.)

0 Likes

You can change the email options in the "Preferences" section.  To go there, click on the little arrow next to your name in the upper right hand corner of the page and select "Preferences" (I'm not sure of the German translation). On that page is all of the email settings.  You can turn them all off, or pick and choose which things you'd like sent in an email.

Hopet his helps.

0 Likes
l_schubert
Journeyman III

Please make the old forums available for reference again. Each Google result which points me to some thread in the old forum redirects me to http://devgurus.amd.com/welcome I'm using the Google cache atm but this is annoying.

+1

And where forum about Brook-based apps gone ? Well, there are still GPUs around that can't use OpenCL but work fine with Brook... Leave old knowledge at last for reference...

0 Likes

We didn't remove any content.  You should still be able to find any Brook related content that was in the original forums.  To my knowledge we never had a brook specific forum, just a general "" forum that probably contained some Brook information. 

Here is a link to the search results that I got when I searched these forums on "Brook"

http://devgurus.amd.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=brook

0 Likes

There definitely was Brook-related forum cause I participated in it much some time ago.

Looks like it was somehow merged in OpenCL one...

For example: http://devgurus.amd.com/message/942691#942691

this thread has nothing with OpenCL, moreover, its topic was actual before OpenCL was even introduced... but it now listed under OpenCL...

Strange. But good it's still accessible at least.

0 Likes

@stroia: how about an answer to this one? As l.schubert said, it's more than annoying.

Thanks

0 Likes

Kitchen Designing Ideas. www.solidwoodkitchen.co.uk . Kitchens with appliances £595. Includes Free Kitchen Designing . Kitchen Design Ideas. TEL 01616-694785

0 Likes
vvelichkov
Journeyman III

Congratulations for the fresh revamp of the forums! This was long time overdue 🙂

The only negative feedback I have so far is the page loading speed - a way too slow!

I am on a 100Mbps Fiber connection, my PC is a top-end custom configuration and still - it takes 5-6 seconds to load each page that is not cached locally by the browser.

I don't believe the latency from Europe to US is an issue - this is a web site, not a FPS MMO :-).

And just for the record, my latency is between 150ms and 170ms, which is pretty OK, I believe even for playing an MMO 🙂

I've tried IE 9.0, Chrome 16, Firefox 7 - it is all the same.

0 Likes

Thanks! 

Sorry to hear some people are seeing slow loading speeds.  I don't see the latency on my end, but we will add your information to the report that we send to Jive.

0 Likes

Earlier today I had no loading speed issues but at the moment even developer.amd.com seems quite slow to me. Maybe just something temporary like high load.

Update: Now it has normal loading speeds again, at least during the last pages I visited.

0 Likes

I've noticed something strange when creating new topics. If you're editing text, and you press ctrl+shift+left cursor, the word to your left gets highlighted as you'd expect. But press left again while keeping ctrl and shift pressed, and the word becomes unselected. From then on, continuing to press left results in more words being added to the selection as you'd expect; but the last one stays deselected.

This seems to happen unpredictably. I've only seen it with the last word in a post, which is usually where I want to start selecting. But after pasting some text in it starts working again. Seems to be 100% reproduceable when starting a post from scratch though. Tested using IE9 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

0 Likes

Also, how do I change my email address? There's no option to do so from the user interface.

Strangely, the address specified there isn't even the one it's sending notifications to! Must have multiple addresses stored somewhere in your db without showing them here?

0 Likes

That is strange!  You should be able to change your email address in the developer.amd.com profile section.

Go into your profile settings on developer.amd.com https://ssl-developer.amd.com/membership/Profile.aspx and update there.

0 Likes

Thank you, that was very helpful!

Although, I find it very confusing that we cannot change the email address via "edit profile & privacy". If one doesn't know it, it's hard to get (from this page) to the page you have linked.

Regards.

0 Likes